Chapter 2

Kerri got into her silver SUV and looked back at the church. She paused for a moment, uncertain with what she was waiting for. Shaking her head, she gazed down at her shoes as she put the car key into the ignition.

Before, she had always insisted on wearing heels despite how they made her feet hurt. She was a celebrity, and image was everything. Nick had always tried to get her to wear something more comfortable, but she never allowed herself to do so.

Nick was a singer, and the spotlights were always on him as well. But he never cared too much about what he wore on normal off-stage days.

She turned to the passenger door when she heard the click of the door opening, and she frowned when the server who had retrieved her car got in and closed the door.

For the first time that day, she paid attention to the server. She stared at the unfamiliar face, at the short, curly black hair that was similar to David's hair.

"Who are you?" Her eyes flickered toward the left of the server's black polo shirt that had no print or logo—specifically her church's logo. "What are you doing? Are you from the church?" 

How else did he get her car key? "Where's David?"

David usually parked and retrieved the car for her, but she was so consumed with thoughts of Nick that she hadn't noticed who led her to her car.

"I love you, Kerri." The guy's widened eyes stared at her, his sienna eyes boring into hers, and his brows were pushed all the way up, scrunching his high forehead.

Whoever this person was, she didn't like how he was staring at her, but the gaunt-looking guy didn't seem capable of causing too much harm. Besides, they were still in church. What could the guy do to her?

"Thanks for getting my car, but I need to go now." Kerri pressed her back against the door while reaching over to the seat belt buckle.

The guy grabbed her hands. He clasped his scrawny hands around hers and tugged them to his chest. "I love you so much."

Kerri swallowed and tried to pull her hands from his, but the guy's hands clutched hers, his fingertips digging into her skin.

"I can't believe I'm holding your hands."

"You're hurting me." She jerked harder, but that only caused the guy to further tighten his grip.

Her heart pounded harder then.

"Kerri, I'm your biggest fan," the guy said, leaning closer.

A chill glazed over her shoulders, but she managed to release the breath she'd held and screamed, "Help!"

The guy moved forward and cupped his hand over her mouth. "Shh ... it's okay. It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." Despite saying that, his hand remained over her mouth.

Before she could scream again, the passenger door opened.

"Get away from her." Nick grabbed the guy's hair and yanked him away from her and out of the car.

She unbuckled her seat belt and scrambled out of the car.

Nick pounded his fist into the guy's face.

"Nick!"

He stopped and looked up at her. In that split second their eyes met, he seemed to see something in her that fueled his rage. He threw one more punch that knocked the guy out, then threw the guy onto the ground and ran over to her.

"Did he hurt you?" He held her shoulders and leaned forward.

Kerri shook her head.

"Are you all right?"