Chapter 26

Nick scanned through the messages on his phone, then switched it to silent mode after checking that there weren't any messages from Kerri.

"Ready, in ten, nine ..."

He crossed his legs and rested his arms on the armrests, then waved at the camera when the host, Rachelle Allen, introduced him.

"Nick, I know you're really busy with your rehearsals and tour, so I'm really glad you were able to make it," Rachelle Allen said. "There's been quite a buzz about your tour."

They chatted about his tour and new album before Rachelle brought up Kerri.

"So, Kerri's been wearing a ring on a very important finger, but both of you have remained tight-lipped about it."

He laughed and shrugged.

"That's it?" Rachelle mimicked his shrug. "Give me something. If you do, I have a present for you—something you'll love."

With his finger against his lips, he shook his head. "I have nothing to say."

"Did you get her that ring?"

"Maybe."

"You're not being very much fun, but you know what? I'll still give you the present." She looked over her shoulder. "Bring out the present."

Two guys in jeans and black T-shirts carried out a large blue box with a cream-colored lid and a light pink ribbon.

"Open it," Rachelle said and gestured to the box.

He stood and went over to the box just as the lid flew open and Kerri jumped up.

"Surprise!"

He laughed and pulled her tight against him. He didn't want to let her go. He hadn't seen her face to face or held her in his arms for over a month. "What are you doing here?"

"One of the tour events got canceled."

He took her hand and helped her out of the box.

"You said you'd be here, so my mom found Rachelle and arranged this."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer as he took a deep breath before kissing her hair. "I miss you."

"I miss you, too."

They settled onto the couch.

"There's the ring that's been getting all the attention."

Kerri laughed and leaned against his shoulder.

Rachelle grinned. "The two of you look so happy together."

Kerri shared a look with Nick. "I am. Are you?"

"Of course."

"So, have you started the wedding plans? I'm sure your mom must be excited."

"It's complicated," Kerri said.

"She hasn't officially said yes."

"What?" Rachelle leaned forward. "Why? Did Nick screw up the proposal?"

"No, the second time around was perfect."

Nick laughed when Rachelle's jaw dropped. "We had a crazy night. I wasn't sure if we'd survive the night, and I wanted her to know."

"Oh, so it was that night. Then why haven't you said yes?" Rachelle asked Kerri.

Kerri pursed her lips. "We were together for five years, then we didn't have any contact for three."

"She wanted some time to make sure we'd be awesome together, but she didn't want to disappoint me and say no the second time." Nick grinned and continued. "Well, she's kind of right. We've just reconnected, and when I proposed, we hadn't even had a fight."

"And our pastor thinks we should get into a major fight before getting married."

Rachelle frowned. "So are you engaged?"

"Yes, no, I don't know," Kerri said.

"Have you guys fought?"

"Yeah," Kerri answered and laughed.

"Over when I should start my tour. The doctor said I was fine, but she thought I'd be pushing myself too hard to hop onto my tour immediately."

"Was that why you cut down on the number of concerts?" Rachelle asked.

He grinned and shrugged.

"Yes, it was because of me."

Rachelle smiled after looking at both of them. "Since you've had your fight, what are you waiting for?" She squinted. "Are you waiting for Nick to ask again?" She looked over at Nick. "Do it."

"Really?" He looked at Kerri. "No," he said after a moment. "I don't want her saying yes because she doesn't want to embarrass me on camera."

"That's sweet," Rachelle said. "Will Kerri be joining you on your tour?"

Nick looked over at Kerri. "I wish, but her schedule doesn't allow it."

Kerri nodded with a small pout.

"But you'll be back for the trial after the tour."

Nick took Kerri's hand. "Yes."

"How's Eric Wales?" Rachelle asked, directing the question to Kerri.

"He's fine."

Nick tightened his hand around Kerri's. "And she's not going to answer another question about Eric or the trial."

Rachelle continued looking at him while her head bobbed up and down. "I've heard a lot about how you've changed. I can see that now. I heard you've announced that you won't be going out or even stay in a room with a woman."

"Yeah, unless there are others around—or if the woman is Kerri. Then I'm more than willing." He winked at Kerri, then turned back to Rachelle. "Our pastor suggested that. And after what I put him through, I thought this was the least I could do."

Everyone, even those behind the cameras, laughed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!