Chapter 7 - Part 2

Kerri strode toward the gym while scanning the crowd of paparazzi who had gathered near the entrance. 

There seemed to be more of them around today, which made her wonder if some other star was here. Scott was the instructor that Hollywood went to whenever any director needed someone to choreograph a fight scene.

She scanned her gym card, and the door popped open. That door was the only thing that kept the paparazzi away. The metal door frame held bulletproof glass, which she thought was hilarious. She doubted paparazzi would shoot up a gym just to get a couple of photographs of stars.

After putting her things into a locker, she began her training with Scott.

"You've been practicing."

She smiled ruefully as she thought about Nick.

"I think we're ready to move on to the next scene. You're doing a lot better than I'd expected."

"How badly did you think I'd do?"

"I thought you would be here for ten minutes, then throw a fit about this being too tough and storm out of the place."

"Was that why it took you so long to get me the membership card?"

"Yeah. I didn't see the point of getting you a card if you weren't going to last."

She laughed softly and stopped when she saw Nick.

They hadn't said much to each other after dinner at the lake house. When they left the next morning, they said goodbye to each other and drove off. She knew he was probably still annoyed that she had refused to tell him what was going on.

She wished they hadn't left the lake house on such a lousy note. That would probably be the last time either of them would be there, and she hated that the last memory they would have of the place was the worst of all the times they had spent there.

"Hey," Nick said.

"Hey."

Scott placed his hand on her arm. "Why don't you wash up and get something to drink?" Then Scott went over and put his arm around Nick and pulled him away.

She took a quick shower and grabbed her things from the locker before heading out. When she got to the door, she licked her lips and stepped back.

More paparazzi had arrived, all with their cameras ready.

"Did you drive?"

She turned to Nick, who was still in his dark blue T-shirt and his black MMA shorts, the same type of shorts every guy in the gym was wearing. "No. I told Dana I'd get a cab."

"Why?"

"It's her mother's birthday. I told her to take the rest of the day off."

"I'll take you home." He pushed the door open and cocked his head to the side. "Come on."

She stepped out with him after taking a deep breath.

"Stay close to me."

She stepped closer to him as he wrapped his arm around her.

"Nick! Kerri! Look here!"

Nick tightened his arm around her while his other hand pressed her head against his chest. He pushed his way through the camera-wielding paparazzi.

"How did they know we'd be here?" she asked when they got into his car.

"I got here after you. I think the news spread after that."

"I didn't know you were training here."

"Scott's the best, right?"

The paparazzi homed in on the car, surrounding it. She pulled the visor down and kept her hand in front of her.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"It's times like this I wish I were a nobody."

Nick pressed a button on the dashboard and started the car. "Where are we going?"

She gave him her address, and they drove in silence until they were sure no one was following them. She watched him the whole time, surprised at how calm he was. He would usually be cursing and getting all agitated as he tried to figure out who leaked the news about them.

"Thanks for bringing me back," she said.

"It's nothing."

"Nick, about that night ..."

"It's all right. You have a right to your privacy. You don't have to tell me everything."

"You know I trust you."

"Do you?"

"Yes." Kerri turned to him. "Do you trust me?"

His chest rose sharply.

"If I don't tell you something, can't you just assume that I'm trying to protect you in my own way as well? You always get the short end of the stick when it comes to the press. I don't want any of that for you, especially not when your new album is coming out."

He shook his head. "What are you involved in?"

"Nothing."

"Kerri!" He glared at her.

"Please keep your eyes on the road."

He exhaled heavily. "Kerri, if you're in trouble—"

"What kind of trouble could I get into?"

"That's what worries me. Especially when I know you're lying to me right now." He tapped his fingers against the steering wheel. "Kerri, please."

"It'll be over soon." At least she hoped it would be. "Please just let things be."

He ran his hand through his hair. "All right, then promise me one thing. If you need help regarding this, whatever it is, you'll call me." When he stopped the car at the next traffic light, he turned to her. "I love you, Kerri. No matter what happens, I always will."

She didn't know what to say.

It had been nice to see Nick again, to return to the lake house, and to laugh around him. But it wasn't until this moment that she realized she wanted so badly for him to love her like he used to.

She would always love him, too. Or perhaps she had never stopped loving him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!