Chapter 3 - Part 2

Kerri's hands were firm on the steering wheel. She was ready to drive off once Stephanie got into the car. She felt exposed without her sunglasses, but she couldn't hide behind them, not at night. They might end up drawing more attention.

She adjusted her cap, pulling it as low as possible, then planted her hand back on the steering wheel.

Her head snapped toward the opposite car door when someone tried and failed to open it. She sighed when Stephanie bent over and looked into the car.

She unlocked the door, and Stephanie immediately entered.

"Drive," Stephanie said while staring at the side-view mirror, and pulled off her white earphones. She dropped the earphones around her shoulders, ran her hand through her short black bob, and leaned forward. "Are they in here?" She opened the glove compartment.

"I'm sick of this. I want to stop." She started the car and pulled away from the curb.

Stephanie pulled her black armband down, then stuffed the plastic packets between her phone and armband. "This is everything, right?" She looked at her as she put the armband back in place.

Kerri didn't bother to reply to Stephanie. "I don't want to do this anymore."

Stephanie straightened her dark blue tank top. "Is this all you bought?"

"Yes. Did you hear what I said?"

"I thought you were just whining—as usual."

Kerri inhaled deeply through her nose. "I'm serious."

Sighing heavily, Stephanie tipped her head back against the headrest. "You can walk away from this anytime you want." Without any makeup on her face, the dark eye circles made Stephanie's sunken eyes more prominent. Coupled with Stephanie's sombre tone, Kerri could almost believe her, except she knew better.

So despite knowing how unladylike it was, Kerri snorted.

"The choice is yours."

Kerri rolled her eyes. She didn't have a choice, and Stephanie knew it.

"I know you think I'm in alliance with Satan." Stephanie rubbed her hands down her dark gray jogging pants. "But I'm just doing what I'm told." She put one side of the earphones back in place. "Just drop me off around the corner."

Kerri was tempted to kick Stephanie out right where they were, while the car was still moving. Taking a deep breath, she looked down and tilted her face away from Stephanie. "What about the stalker guy?"

"We've taken care of him."

"Would you take care of me if I were to walk away from everything?"

Stephanie grunted. "I know you're an actress, but don't be dramatic."

Kerri jammed her foot on the brake harder than necessary. She jerked forward, but her seat belt held her back while Stephanie's torso swung forward unimpeded.

Stephanie flung her arm out, breaking the forward momentum with a loud knock against the glove compartment. "Trying to cause another car crash?"

Even with her jaws clenched, Kerri managed a smile.

"We'll have your back as long as you have ours," Stephanie said. "I'll be in contact. See you around, Miss America's Sweetheart."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!