Chapter 5 - Part 2

Kerri pushed the long glass panels aside and looked out at the tranquil lake. She missed seeing the sunrise here.

Leaning against the wall, she closed her eyes and imagined the rays of sun climbing up from beyond the horizon and the warmth it brought when the rays shone onto her face.

Whenever she and Nick could, they would come and stay as long as possible. It was usually a few days, but the time spent here felt eternal. The sunrise glowed softer, the rays ethereal. The rare rainy days were comforting while the usual sunny days were relaxing.

She took a deep breath and opened her eyes when her thoughts began playing a movie of Nick's arms around her, holding her as they stood and watched the sunrise in silence. She swirled the glass of ice water in her hand before walking out on the wooden deck. She went down the stairs and stepped out onto the dry grass patch that crunched beneath her shoes.

This was the first time she had been here without Nick.

Looking over her shoulder, she glanced up at the deck. She wasn't sure why, but she waited for Nick to appear with his tousled brown hair and beach shorts.

She looked down at the ground when Nick didn't appear. His hair isn't even brown anymore. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had avoided the lake house for three years. She didn't want to be here without Nick. This was their place.

But after the interview, she couldn't stop thinking about the time they had together, both the good and the bad.

The five years she had spent with him had been the happiest. There were times when she was completely heartbroken and thought she would never be able to climb out of the depression she felt, but she did. She had learned so much from him. While others thought he had been nothing but Mr. Bad Influence, Nick was the first person who looked at her as just Kerri.

"Kerri."

Her hand jerked, spilling some water.

Nick took the glass from her and brushed the water droplets off her hand. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I tried calling, but your phone's off."

She continued staring at him without a word. She had felt the instant heat from his hand through the ice water, but she still didn't believe he was real.

"Kerri," he said and took her hand. "Are you all right?" He gave her hand a squeeze, and she squeezed back in return.

"What are you doing here?"

"Your mom called. I told her I'd find you."

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"I didn't. I just guessed." He looked right into her eyes and held her gaze even as a breeze went by. His hand moved toward her face, and he brushed her hair aside before stepping away. "I've missed this place."

"Me, too."

He trotted forward a few steps. "Perfect weather for a swim." He turned back to her. "Have you been here since ..."

"No."

He broke into a grin that dazzled her into a smile of her own. "Then we should still have clothes here, I suppose."

"I guess so." If they hadn't grown cobwebs or rotted away.

"Then come on." He grabbed her hand and sprinted forward. He only slowed when they neared the edge of the lake. He pulled off his T-shirt, kicked off his shoes, dropped his jeans, and jumped into the lake in his boxers.

She laughed as the water splashed onto her.

"Whoa!" His head broke the surface of the water. "It's cold. You should join me."

"You know I hate cold water."

"But you look like you need the cold to jolt you awake."

"I am awake. I'm going back in." She turned and headed back to the house while water continued to splash behind her. She looked over her shoulder, just in time to see Nick lunging at her.

He lifted her into his arms and ran back into the water.

She screamed as the chill stabbed her skin. She pushed her hair away and gasped for air with her suddenly constricted lungs. While she was still trying to take in enough air to scream at Nick, she felt his arms around her waist.

Before she knew it, she was pressed up against him, her palms against his chest, and she forgot all about yelling at him.

"Hello."

She blinked.

"There you are."

"What are you talking about?"

"There's the Kerri I love. Instead of the sad girl looking out at the sunset."

"I was just thinking that it's the first time I've been here on my own."

Nick chest rose and fell. "You're not here on your own." He leaned in, and she closed her eyes.

She felt his forehead against hers and tipped her chin up.

But nothing happened.

Opening her eyes, she found his eyes shut tight and his jaws clenched. She touched his cheek, and he immediately grabbed her hand. After a second, he looked at her and smiled. "Let's get you back in the house before you freeze."

She wasn't sure what he was thinking about, and she couldn't help but be disappointed at the kiss that never came.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!