Chapter 11 - Part 1

Kerri started driving the moment Stephanie closed the car door. "I haven't bought any more drugs. You didn't tell me to."

"We're almost done."

Kerri turned to Stephanie. "Are you serious?"

Stephanie nodded and pointed ahead. "Keep your eyes on the road. We had a major break. The drugs that you bought from Douglas matched the ones we have."

"Matched the ones you have? What's that supposed to mean?" And Douglas? Kerri had gotten drugs from him before moving on to the gym exchange. "Why did you make me buy from the new dealer if you already had a match with Douglas? Whatever that means."

"Tests take time," Stephanie said. "Turn right here, then left at the next turn."

Kerri followed Stephanie's instructions and turned into a large parking garage next to a small diner.

"Take the space at the corner."

Kerri pulled into the space and stared at Stephanie. Stephanie had always kept details of her case to herself. Kerri did whatever she was told, which was to buy drugs from different high-end drug dealers.

"Drugs made and sold by different people are made differently. This gives it a kind of structure that is almost like DNA."

Kerri frowned. Why was Stephanie explaining things to her? She had never bothered to do so before. "I have a bad feeling about this."

Stephanie ignored her and continued. "We have been tracking this particular type of cocaine. The person behind it has been a ghost; he always disappears before we can make a move."

"What has this got to do with me?"

"Three years ago, we knew one thing. The dealer was only selling to high-end clients. People like you and Nick."

"Which was why you made the deal with me. You needed me to find this dealer."

Stephanie nodded twice. "When the drugs matched, we began tracking your dealer's phone."

"My dealer?"

"The dealer—happy?" Stephanie rolled her eyes. "Anyway, lots of tracking and cross-referencing later, we managed to link it to a BVI company."

Kerri silently drew a deep breath and made sure she kept her face straight. Not SAM Holdings. Not SAM Holdings. Please, Lord.

"It seemed like it was linked to your neighbor's company. I heard you are pretty close to him."

Kerri propped her arm against the window ledge while she rubbed her index finger against her lips. She stared out at the parking garage that had three other cars beside hers.

"We have proof that the company your friend is running has been importing drugs."

"It's a logistics company. It imports and exports lots of stuff. If drugs are involved, I'm sure Eric knows nothing about it."

"We're not interested in your friend."

Kerri narrowed her eyes. "You're after Senator Wales."

"We believe he may be using the drug trade to fund his campaigns. He has very good connections, which would explain why he is always a step ahead of us."

Kerri laughed. "You've got to be kidding."

"We need proof."

Eric's thumb drive? But she would never hand that over to Stephanie, not without Eric's permission. "You want me to do something."

"I'm asking you to help your friend."

Kerri rolled her eyes. "First, I made a deal with you so you wouldn't go after Nick for the drugs you found in his car. Now you want me to help Eric. Do I look like a saint to you?"

"Do you know Senator Wales well?"

Kerri remained quiet. She looked away from Stephanie, wondering what would happen if she simply got out of the car and walked away.

"Do you think Senator Wales will make sure your friend comes out of this investigation clean, or will he be more concerned about himself?" Stephanie paused, and Kerri could feel her stare.

Senator Wales would look out for himself, of course. Kerri wanted to bury her face in her hands and scream, but she would prefer to die before having a breakdown in front of Stephanie.

"We need proof that Senator Wales is linked to a company called SAM Holdings."

Sam hurts people. Sam kills people. Kerri couldn't remain in the car any longer. She opened the door and stepped out, taking a deep breath. She licked her lips and stared ahead. She wasn't sure what she was doing, but she walked toward the diner. She needed sugar. Chocolate. Coke. Whatever. She needed sugar.

"Kerri." Stephanie grabbed her hand and pulled her to a stop.

"Do I look like James Bond to you?"

"I know you hate me for making you buy all those drugs, but I do this job because I believe I'm helping people. We go after the big guys, not just the street dealers. When we catch someone, a source of drugs gets eradicated."

"I don't care. I know it sounds selfish, but I don't care!"

"But you care about Nick and Eric."

She changed her mind about sugar. "Leave me alone." She ran back to her car and drove off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!