Chapter 25 - Part 2

Nick leaned his arms on the white and light gray counter and tried to peer at the computer. He groaned and tipped his head back when the officer at the counter tilted the screen away. "Can't you just tell her that I'm with you?" he asked Stephanie.

The officer behind the desk ignored him and typed away on the computer.

"You're not getting a backstage pass. We have procedures."

He tapped his finger impatiently against the counter.

"Here you go."

Nick snatched the pass from the officer and gestured for Stephanie to lead the way.

"She's fine, you know."

"All I have is your word."

"Look." Stephanie stopped and glared at him. "I get it that you don't like me."

"You have no idea how much I dislike you. Do you know what Kerri went through tonight? Someone got shot in front of her, and she had a gun pressed against her head."

Stephanie remained in her position, but her angry stare softened. Without another word, she turned and continued walking, then pointed ahead. "She's right there."

"Kerri!" Nick ran over and pulled her into his arms. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah." She leaned back and brushed her thumb against his brow. "Are you?"

"I'll survive. I didn't push you too hard, did I?"

She smiled. "I didn't shatter into pieces." She studied his face. "We should go to the hospital."

"And Eric?"

"Stephanie's team will take care of that."

Stephanie cleared her throat, and Nick turned to her. "Can I ask you a few questions before I get two officers to take you two to the hospital?"

"And you couldn't have done that just now when we were waiting for the pass?"

Stephanie took a deep breath. "I didn't think you would be able to concentrate. You seemed only concerned about seeing Kerri."

Kerri ran her hand down his arm. "I'm okay. Answer her questions, then we can go."

He nodded.

"Do you remember anything about the people who took you?"

He described what the two men who took Kerri and him were wearing.

"Is that all you remember?"

"They were all bulked up, like soldiers. Kerri shot two of them, so—"

"Whoever they were, they took the injured along. But we have their DNA. We have to wait for the test results, though. I'm hoping to get my hands on the hard drive before we bring Senator Wales in."

Kerri looked down on the floor for a moment. "The stalker ..."

Stephanie sighed softly. "He was dead when the police got to the scene."

"He was trying to help me," Kerri said and sighed. "And I don't even know his name."

"Tommy Wood."

Nick pulled Kerri back into his arms.

"Steph!"

Kerri jumped, and Nick tightened his arm around her.

"Guess what they found in the car?" a guy wearing brown khaki pants and black jacket with the letters DEA printed on the left side of the chest shouted across the room. Then he lifted his hand and waved the familiar dark blue object in the air.

Kerri gasped. "Was it with us all along?"

Stephanie turned to them. "That's the hard drive you took from Senator Wales's house?"

"It looks like the one we took," Kerri said. "How did we miss it?"

"Where did you find that?" Stephanie asked and met the guy halfway.

Kerri leaned against his chest. "Please, Lord, let that be the hard drive."

Nick hoped so, too.

"Take this to the tech team, and get two troopers to take the two of them to the hospital."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!