Chapter 25 - Part 1

"Sit." Pastor Jay pointed to the brown couch.

Pastor Yvette winced when she took a good look at Nick. "You should've told us you were hurt."

"I didn't think you would care about that," he said. "Not after I said I needed to punch your husband in front of the cameras."

She turned and walked over to Pastor Jay. "Are you all right?" She grazed her fingers against Pastor Jay's cheek. "It doesn't seem that bad," Pastor Yvette said.

Nick sat and leaned back. He was so tired.

"I'm all right. It doesn't even hurt." Pastor Jay grinned and gave her a peck on the lips before heading into the kitchen.

Pastor Yvette turned back to Nick, and she cringed ever so slightly. "I'll get you a wet towel."

He must look terrible.

"Here." Pastor Jay came out of the kitchen and set a glass of water on the coffee table. "How are you feeling?"

"I can survive the pain."

"You need to go to the hospital."

"Do I look that bad?" he asked.

"You haven't seen yourself in the mirror?"

He had, but he couldn't care less about how he looked now. "Thanks for doing this."

Pastor Jay shook his head. "When I told you that you and Kerri shouldn't rely on each other that much, I wasn't telling you to turn to me. You were supposed to turn to Jesus."

Nick grinned. "You're the closest representation we could physically grab hold of."

They laughed, and he winced.

"You really should go to the hospital."

"Thanks for everything, Pastor Jay. Not just for tonight." Nick sighed, exhaling slowly. "But for everything. For fighting to give me my life back; for not giving up on me."

A corner of Pastor Jay's lips hooked into a smile. "You're welcome."

Pastor Yvette hurried back with a wet towel. "Hold still," she said and pressed the wet towel against his face. After a few seconds, she wiped it off gently.

He winced again when the fibers of the towel brushed against his wound.

Pastor Jay pressed his fingers against his cheek. "I can't remember the last time I was in a fight."

"Are you all right?" Nick asked.

"One punch won't kill me, but a broken rib might kill you."

"Pastor Yvette was a nurse; this is good enough."

"You have a cut just below your brow," Pastor Yvette said. "That explains why there's so much blood." She continued dabbing the towel against his face.

After what seemed like forever, she stood, and Nick thought she was done. But she reached for his hair and moved a bunch aside. He could feel the resistance from the dried blood tugging at his scalp.

"You have quite a few cuts here. Nothing too serious, though." She threw the towel onto the table. "But both you and Kerri should go to the hospital for a full checkup. Especially you." She bent down again and removed the hand he had against his ribs, then jabbed them with her fingers.

"Aargh!" He leaned away from her. "Was that revenge for punching Pastor Jay?"

She grinned and looked over her shoulder at Pastor Jay. "I don't think it's broken. Cracked maybe, but you should get yourself to the hospital as soon as possible. Just to be safe."

Nick nodded and shifted forward on the couch when Pastor Jay's phone rang.

Pastor Jay grabbed his phone from the coffee table and frowned. "Another unknown number. Hello? Kerri?"

Nick stood and held his hand out for the phone.

"Yes, he's here. He's fine, just won't stop staring at me because I won't pass him the phone. Hang on."

Nick took the phone from Pastor Jay. "Kerri, are you all right?"

"Yes, we've gotten the thumb drive. I'm at the DEA's office; I'll send you the address. They need the car."

"I'll come get you. I'll be taking Pastor Jay's phone."

"Of course you are," Pastor Jay said, and Pastor Yvette laughed.

After ending the call, Nick strode over to the door. "By the way, I proposed."

"Proposed?" Pastor Jay said, emphasizing the last syllable.

"And?" Pastor Yvette asked. "What did she say?"

He shrugged and closed the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!