Chapter 15 - Part 2

Nick was in his dressing room, waiting for his cue to get on stage, when he noticed Roland cringing while looking at the live telecast on his iPad. "What's wrong?"

Roland looked over, seemingly surprised that he was even there.

"What?"

Roland sighed and shook his head.

"Don't give me whatever nonsense you're preparing in your head. Tell me the truth. Did they cancel the performance? Is there a riot outside demanding that I be stoned?" He leaned back and crossed his leg.

"It's Kerri."

He uncrossed his legs and straightened. "What about her?"

"Someone threw red paint on her while she was having her interview with Benny."

Nick got up and moved to the door.

"Where are you going? Your performance—"

He closed the door behind him and sprinted toward the red carpet, but he didn't have to go far before he spotted Kerri. Actually, he spotted Dana, who was standing behind a group of people.

Dana nodded when she saw him.

He ran over. "Kerri?" The group parted as they looked over their shoulders. "Are you all right?" He cringed when he saw her dress.

"You shouldn't be here," Kerri said.

"Roland told me what happened." He took her hand, which was cold, and tugged her toward him.

But Kerri placed her hand on his chest. "I don't want to get your clothes dirty. The paint is still wet."

He narrowed his eyes, then pulled her toward him with more force. "I don't care about my clothes."

"You have a performance."

"I don't care." One of his hands went around her waist while the other cupped over the back of her neck. "Are you all right?"

She nodded in his arms. "Just shocked by what happened."

He held her for a few more moments before stepping back and taking her hand. "This way."

"Argh. It got on your T-shirt. Where are we going?"

"My dressing room."

Everyone turned and stared at Kerri when they passed by. Some gasped and asked her what had happened. Nick explained that someone splashed paint on her, and he wanted to get her to his dressing room so she could rest and maybe clean up.

Almost anyone with a camera gathered around them, clicking away, but Nick didn't bother to pay any attention to them.

Roland sighed audibly when he and Kerri got back to the room. "I was afraid you weren't coming back, and Kerri, I'm so sorry."

Nick led Kerri over to the couch and sat next to her. "Do you have another dress?"

"Claudia is bringing another one over now," Dana said. "I've texted Vicky to come over. I'll meet her outside and bring her here."

Nick nodded.

"They won't get here in time."

"They are both on their way. Maybe you'll miss the first minute of the performance."

Kerri shook her head. "No way."

"Don't worry about my performance," Nick said. "I understand. I know you're supporting me even if you remain here."

She squeezed his hand. "I will be up front, watching you." Taking a deep breath, she stood and looked in the mirror. "I think I still look pretty good in this dress."

Nick grinned and stood behind her. "You always look amazing to me."

"But Kerri ..."

Kerri shot Dana a glare and turned to Nick. "What's the big deal with a little paint, right? There's no need to over-react." She ran her hand down his shirt, sending waves of heat through him though her fingers remained cold. "You, however, should find another shirt."

He grabbed the coat he had hung up and draped it over her shoulders.

Roland frowned, then groaned when he finally saw his shirt. "Nick, seriously." He looked around for a moment. "I'm sure there's another T-shirt lying around."

"No. I'll wear this." He wrapped his hand around Kerri's waist and turned both of them to the mirror. "I think we look great in matching paint."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!