Chapter 24 - Part 2

Nick pulled up outside Pastor Jay's place and strode forward. Behind him, cars screeched to a stop and a burst of light lit up the area as he made his way toward the door.

A reporter and another cameraman rushed forward, blocking his path. "Nick!" The reporter pushed the end of his phone toward him.

If Nick hadn't angled his face away, the phone would have hit him right in the lips.

"Did you have another fight with Kerri?"

"Leave me alone." He went over to Pastor Jay's door and tried opening it though he knew it would be locked. "Pastor Jay!" The media was going to have a field day with what he was about to do, but that was the point.

Pastor Jay opened the door, just enough for him to block the doorway with his frame, and stared warily at him. "You look like you've gone through hell." He stepped out and closed the door behind him.

"Feels like it as well," Nick said.

"Hey!" Pastor Jay pointed to someone behind him. "Get off my lawn. This is private property."

The reporter took a step back. But even as he did, he shoved the cameraman forward as he said something to him.

"Kerri called," Pastor Jay said, and Nick waited. "What were you thinking, Nick? She just went through all that trauma, and you had to fight with her."

"So you're taking her side."

"Nick, I've told you tons of times, you need to grow up."

"Grow up? I risked my life to keep her safe. I would've died for her!"

Pastor Jay raised his hands in peace and took a step back. "You need to calm down."

Nick looked over his shoulder at the cameras. "Let's talk inside."

Pastor Jay froze for a moment and stared at him.

Nick stepped to the side and tried to reach for the door.

"I thought—"

"Say no," Nick whispered back and tried not to roll his eyes.

"No."

"What's wrong with all of you? Do you know what she wanted to do? Eric can take care of himself. I told her to call Stephanie, but she refused. I had to wrestle the phone from her."

"You should go."

"You've got to be kidding."

Pastor Jay suddenly froze and clenched his jaws, and Nick almost sighed aloud. There wasn't time for that, though. Nick took a step to the side, giving the cameras a full view of Pastor Jay and himself before throwing a fist against Pastor Jay's cheek.

He hoped the punch looked genuine. Pastor Jay worked out as well, but Nick wasn't sure how much Pastor Jay could handle, and he couldn't have Pastor Jay passing out.

Pastor Jay's eyes opened, and he seemed surprised by the punch, which almost made Nick laugh.

The sudden gasp from one of the cameramen reminded Nick why he was there, and he raised his arm again, slower this time.

Pastor Jay lunged at him. "You punk."

Nick would have laughed then, but he landed on the ground before he could do so. The adrenaline in his system had slowed, and he had begun feeling the aches in his muscles and head on the drive over.

He groaned and cursed when he felt the familiar ache. He pushed at Pastor Jay. "Get off me." He should've told Pastor Jay about his injury when he called earlier.

"Listen—"

"I think I might've cracked my ribs again." He wasn't sure when, but he was definitely feeling the ache now. He groaned and tipped his head back.

Pastor Jay leaned forward, putting more pressure on his chest. "Are you serious?"

"Get off me," he said slowly.

"I'm getting you to the hospital," Pastor Jay said as he got off.

"No." He sat upright and exhaled slowly, making sure he didn't jar his ribs.

"Nick."

"Stop it, both of you." Pastor Yvette stepped out with her hands on her hips. "Get up," she said to them and went back into the house.

Nick stood and dusted off his pants. He cradled the side where a blend of both dull and sharp pain was released with each breath he took and trotted into the house with Pastor Jay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!