Chapter 9 - Part 2

Nick and Kerri followed the waitress to their table. He stepped forward and pulled out the black wooden chair for Kerri before settling into the seat across from her. His eyes made a quick sweep of the restaurant, then he pulled off his navy-blue cap and put it on the brown table.

Kerri arched a brow.

He grinned and said, "It's a family restaurant. The owners go to our church. They've assured me that I can always come here to avoid whatever media is chasing me."

"How did you find out about this place?"

"Pastor Jay brought me here."

"Really?" She scanned the restaurant, looking at the black and white photos on the walls. "He never told me about this place."

"There's nothing your mom will eat here. Even their salad has bacon or some kind of meat. She's still a vegan, right?"

Kerri nodded.

"Was that why you moved out?"

"I eat healthy, too."

"But you love your steaks, and you enjoy burgers and pizzas too."

She laughed softly. She and her dad used to sneak out to eat those behind her mother's back. "So is their steak good?"

"Perfect. You'll love it." That was what he thought the moment he sank his teeth into the steak the first time he was here. Kerri was such a major part of his life that even now he always thought about her whenever he tried something or was at a place he knew she would enjoy.

He ordered and leaned back. "You've got more bruises each time I see you."

"It's fun."

"Do you enjoy the training or do you miss dancing?"

"I'm not sure if I miss dancing. I used to love it, but toward the end, it was more of a love-hate relationship."

"Of course you miss dancing."

"Really? Because I don't even know how I feel about it."

"Because you've been told what to think or how to act your whole life." He winked and took a gulp of ice water. "I think you love dancing, but you hated the performances and competitions." He had watched the reality TV show she starred in.

They had binge-watched it over a weekend at the lake house, and he had a great time teasing her. But besides that, he noticed how alive she looked whenever she was practicing alone in the studio. He could see her seriousness and passion in each move she made. That, combined with her humility whenever she stepped up on stage to receive her trophy or tiara and her gentle kindness when consoling her fellow dancers, caused her popularity to soar.

But he was glad she had stopped when she did. She was clearly tired of the attention by then. She still smiled all the time, but there was a tightness in her smile and a hint of sadness whenever she glanced at the cameras while at the studio.

"Are you saying that's how I should feel?"

"Am I wrong?"

"Hmm ..." She pushed her tongue against her lips, then stopped and looked at him.

He knew what she was thinking without her telling him. She shouldn't have done that. It was ugly and unfeminine. At least that was what her mom told her. Nick held his stare and smiled at her. "You look beautiful. You always do."

Her lips curled.

"There are no cameras here, Kerri. And you're just here with me."

Her smile broadened. She leaned back against the chair, her back relaxed.