Chapter 17 - Part 2

Kerri looked over at Nick when he intertwined his fingers with hers. The light reflected off the movie screen allowed them to exchange a smile before her phone started vibrating in her bag. "Sorry," she mumbled as she pulled her hand from his to take out her phone.

She pursed her lips when she saw Eric's name across the screen. She should talk to him. She needed to let him know what was going on.

"Do you want to take that?"

She looked over at Nick, whose eyes were staring at her phone. She could tell from his tone that he wasn't pleased to see Eric calling her so late at night. She smiled and shook her head before dropping her phone back into her bag.

Their problem could wait one more night. She and Nick were out celebrating his successful performance.

Besides, she wouldn't be doing anything until tomorrow. She would call Eric in the morning.

Once the movie ended, she and Nick sneaked out of the theater and slipped back into the car.

"I'm kind of hungry," Nick said.

"There's a 24-hour McDonald's nearby, right?"

"Fries with ice cream?"

She nodded. "Sounds good."

When they got to McDonald's, she checked her phone while Nick went to buy their food. She clicked into the text from Eric. I'm in Ireland. Bad connection here. I'll call you once I'm back.

Why did he have to go overseas at this time?

"Do you need to call him back?"

She looked up and put her phone down. "I'll call him tomorrow."

"Is he involved with whatever you can't tell me?"

"Sort of."

"So he already knows what's going on?"

She laughed softly at his tone. She used to find it annoying whenever he said things like that. She had thought he didn't trust her, but she found it funny now. "Why are you always so jealous of Eric? I told you he's like a brother to me."

Nick leaned back in the chair and narrowed his eyes. "Because he's the only other guy you are relaxed around."

"I thought that was what you wanted for me."

"Not with other guys."

She laughed again.

"You're always Miss Kerri Adams, Miss America's Sweetheart with other guys, but with him, you're Kerri. And I guess I wanted you to be just my Kerri."

"You've never been just my Nick."

"It'll be different this time."

Kerri ran her finger down the side of her cell phone's cover. "Eric's in trouble." Nick stuffed his mouth with fries, and she assumed that was to stop himself from talking. "I need to tell him what's going on so he can be prepared."

"But you're not going to tell me."

"Again, because I can't. Not because I don't want to." She reached over and took his hand. "Tomorrow. Maybe by tomorrow, I can tell you everything." Once Carlson let her know that Stephanie had sent over the immunity for Nick, she could tell him everything. "Will you be patient for another day? Please."

He weaved his hand into her hair and pulled her over. He gave her a peck on the forehead and went back to eating.

"Your mouth is greasy." She grabbed a napkin and wiped her forehead.

He grinned and said, "I know." He picked up a french fry and scraped it along a side of the ice cream before tipping the coated edge to her. "I can be patient. But if you get hurt because of him," he said as she took a bite, "I will kill him."

"Okay." She leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"You just left a lipstick mark on me, didn't you?"

She shrugged.

"Which is just a perfect look for me."

She looked around at the relatively empty McDonald's. Only two other tables were occupied: one by a group of youngsters who were busy on their phones, another by an old man with his cup of coffee and newspapers.

No one was swarming them for autographs or photos.

No paparazzi. No cameras.

"I'm just your Kerri," she said. "You're the only one who works so hard at making me see I don't have to be more when I'm with you. I can be just Kerri. I can stuff my face with fries and steak. I can watch a movie in public. I can go for a walk in the park and go shopping without at least two security guards and my assistant."

She was about to tell him that she loved him when his lips twisted into a scowl. She followed his gaze and groaned when she noticed the flash. "How did they find us?" That was when she saw the group of youngsters trying to snap pictures of them.

"I'm sorry," Nick said. "We should go." He got up with the ice cream in his hand. He stretched out his free hand and helped her up.

"I'll take you back to the hotel," he said before leaving the McDonald's with his arm around her shoulders.

"But I don't want this night to end yet."

Nick stopped and looked at her. He nodded after a moment. "We're not that far from the hotel. Let's walk back."

She looked across the street. "But ..."

"Let him take the photos." He took a bite of the ice cream and handed it to her. "As long as he doesn't come near us, I don't care."

She threw the ice cream into the bin nearby.

"Wha—"

"I want your hands free so you can kiss me."

His frown disappeared, and he grinned.

"I love you, Nick."

"Finally." He stepped up in front of her.

"Finally? You're really not very patient."

"That has never been my strong suit." He leaned his forehead against hers.

Which was why she appreciated his patience over the whole thing with Stephanie.

He cupped his hands by her face and neck before tipping her head back so he could kiss her. "I love you too, Kerri."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!