Chapter 16 - Part 1

Nick exhaled heavily as he walked out of the dressing room with Kerri next to him. Lord, I declare that your favor surrounds me. You said, the path of the righteous shall grow brighter and brighter unto the perfect day. He wasn't quite sure where that verse was to be found, but Pastor Jay had prayed that over him.

"Don't be nervous. You'll do great. I saw you during practice. You looked good." She took his hands and closed her eyes. "Lord, I know you're with Nick every step of the way. Shower him with your grace and favor." She gave his hands a squeeze. "I'll be up front."

"Kerri, you really don't have to go out there in this dress."

"Are you saying that I look horrible?"

"You know I don't mean that."

She leaned forward and kissed him, just a light peck on his lips. "Break a leg."

The simple peck had him wanting more, and he was tempted to pull her back for another kiss. He shook his head. He needed to focus.

A backstage crew walked over. "Nick, you need to be in position."

Kerri flashed a smile before walking away.

In less than a minute, he heard his song playing. The backup dancers took their place beside him, then went out on cue. With a deep breath, he stepped out after them onto the darkened stage while bright blue lights streaked across the whole place.

The whole place cheered when the lights came on, and he sang and moved along to the beat. He knew this was no indication of the reception he would get after the performance, but he didn't really care. He looked at the audience, at where Kerri was supposed to be seated, and grinned when he spotted her with her hands up, cheering and dancing along with the music.

Breaking away from the dance moves that he'd been practicing, he moved toward the edge of the stage and bent forward, singing to Kerri. She laughed, and that was enough for him. Even if he were to get jeered off the stage, he would be all right with that.

He winked at her, then returned to the center of the stage and got back in step with the rest of the dancers.

He took a deep breath as the music came to an end.

This was the moment.

Nick would know if all the months of hard work would be accepted. He used to place so much emphasis on this one moment.

This time, in that beat between the end of his performance and the reaction from the audience, he realized how stupid and self-obsessed he'd been. Whatever the reaction he received, it was all right. He had worked hard; he had made at least one person—someone important to him—laugh. And above all else, no matter what reaction he received, it wouldn't change the fact that Jesus loved him, and He loved him so much that he came and died for him despite all the times he'd failed.

Then the moment came.

The audience erupted into cheers and claps.

He looked up and searched for Kerri, who was cheering along with everyone else. A cameraman was right next to her, but she didn't care. She kept her eyes on him.

"Kerri, I think you look more beautiful than anyone else here."

The cheers got louder, and he winked at her before leaving the stage.

He continued bouncing to the music that continued to play in the back of his mind while the production crew removed his microphone. When the crew was done, he stepped away and ran his hand through his hair.

"You were great!" He turned around and caught Kerri just as she flew into his arms.

He pulled her against himself, lifting her off the ground.

"I'm so happy for you."

He brushed his thumb along the edge of her lower lip. "Are you going to change now?"

She nodded. "I'll be back later. I had wanted to skip the rest of the awards, but my mom, makeup artist, and hairstylist are already waiting for me at the hotel."

He grinned. "All right. I'll see you later."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!