Chapter 18 - Part 1

Kerri groaned and groped around the bed for her phone that she knew was around somewhere. Her eyes were still closed, and she refused to open them. She hadn't gotten into bed until nearly five in the morning. With the curtains drawn, she had no idea what time it was, but she was certain it was too early—for her at least—to be answering calls.

When she finally found her phone, she opened her eyes to see who it was. Carlson. She sighed and answered the call. "Hello."

"I've received the papers: immunity for Mr. Evans regarding his drug possession and DUI and for Mr. Wales's involvement in the import and export of drugs. Everything's in order. Have you gotten a hold of Mr. Wales yet?"

"No." She yawned softly and sat upright.

"Did I wake you up?"

"What time is it?"

"Nine-thirty."

She supposed Stephanie would be calling her soon anyway. "So I can tell Nick what's going on, and Stephanie can't revoke the immunity, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay. I need to go." She wanted to tell Nick what was going on before meeting Stephanie. "Thanks, Carlson." She called Nick and was surprised he picked it up in a couple of rings.

"I didn't think you'd wake up so early," Nick said the moment he answered the call.

"Why do you sound so awake?"

"Did you call so you could wake me up?"

"Can you come over now? I'm still at the hotel." She crawled to the edge of the bed and swung her legs over.

"Is everything all right?"

"The thing that I couldn't tell you about, I can tell you now." She yawned again.

"Kerri, don't use the tub. I don't want you to fall asleep in it."

"But I didn't get to use it last night."

"I'll extend your stay. You can use it tonight. Why don't you go back to bed? I'll buy breakfast before heading over."

"Kerri Adams."

Kerri gasped when her mother pushed the sliding door apart.

"Is everything all right?" Nick asked on the other end of the line.

"Good, you're awake," her mother said. "Sit up straight. I need to talk to you."

"My mom's here. I'll call you back." She ended the call and sat upright. "What did I do?" She didn't like the tone her mother was speaking in. Did her mother overhear something about the immunity?

Her mother stood at the end of the bed, her arms folded across her chest. "How badly do you want the role?"

Kerri ran her hand through her hair. "The role I've been training for?"

Her mother blinked—deliberately and slowly—once.

"You're not making me give it up, are you? I made it a point not to complain, but training's been hell. I put in a lot of work, mom. I'm not going to give up on it."

Her mother's chest rose slowly.

"I'm all right, mom. I'm really excited to be able to try something new. I haven't gained much muscle, nothing more than what I had from dancing."

Her mother nodded. "All right." She walked over to her and held her shoulders as she bent forward. "You know that above all else, I want you to be happy, right?"

"What's wrong?"

Her mother smiled and kissed her hair. "One more question. Are you and Nick back together?"

"Is this about Hannah?"

"Answer my question."

"Yes."

"I have to go."

"Mom," she said, stopping her mother in her tracks. "Is everything all right?"

"It will be." Her mother graced her with another smile, then left the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New parts will be uploaded every Friday! Do vote and like if you've enjoyed it!