Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Cocky much?

RPOV

There are two reasons why I am not looking forward to first period P.E, the first was this terrible hangover from last night's party, I am totally blaming Alice and Rosalie for being excellent party planners and Jasper and Emmett for getting all the wrong types of booze, and the second reason was simply me being shallow. I had to wake up at five a.m this morning to straighten my hair and now first period gym was going to ruin it for the entire year. I might as well just leave my starightner at school in the week. I admit I am being a bit shallow, but honestly, I am a girl, I have the right to worry about my hair.

I sulked over to the gym, finding that it was a huge and well equipped gym with baseball courts and volleyball nets; two of my favorite sports. On any other day I might have been thrilled, but my head was pounding and I decided that I was just going to sit on the pavilion for today. I walked into the girls locker room, quickly finding a uniform in my size and changing into it, pulling my hair into a high ponytail in the process. The locker room was painted different shades of blue and smelled of various deodorants and perfumes. There were about fifteen other girls, all changing grudgingly into their uniforms and exchanging their summer gossip. I quickly found a locker to put my clothes in and sat down on a bench to tie my trainers.

"Hey, you must be Renesmee, right?" a girl sitting down next to me asked. She had dark hair and hazel eyes and a pair of black rimmed glasses sat on her nose. She looked friendly enough, and a little shy, she was biting her lower lip, almost like she was nervous about talking to me.

"Yeah I'm Renesmee," I said. She looked a little relieved when I confirmed who I was and she stuck out her hand.

"I'm Angela, Bella's best friend, she told me to keep an eye out for you today," I smiled at her, shaking her hand. "I was a little worried about finding you; Bella's description of you was pretty vague." So that's why she was a bit nervous, she was worried she was talking to the wrong person.

"Yeah, she is a bit grumpy today," I said, mostly because of the hangover, but I didn't add that last part.

"Maybe she shouldn't party so hard before school starts," Angela sighed and I giggled. I liked her; she seemed pretty straight forward and down to earth.

"She told you about her hangover I take it?"

"Angela shook her head. "Nope, I just know her too well. Whenever she is grumpy she either has a hangover or got a B on a test, and I don't think it's the latter." She was right, I spent a lot of time with Bella over the summer and she wasn't grumpy even once, of course, it was hard not to be grumpy when your head feels like it's about to fall off your shoulders. Angela and I continued talking as we made our way back to the gym, we mostly talked about school, comparing schedules and making arrangements to sit together at lunch. Angela was really great person, she was really easy to talk to and we had a lot of things in common, she was in my last period chem class, both of us liked chem and I couldn't wait for last period. Gym passed relatively quickly, coach didn't make us run around or anything just encouraged us to try out for various sports teams. After gym I quickly changed and decided to leave my hair in the high ponytail, what was the point in trying to do something else with my unmanageable hair? I said goodbye to Angela and promised to see her at lunch and then made my way to History.

"Hey Renesmee," Edward said coming up behind me. "We have physics together," he smiled at me.

"That's awesome, how was your first class," I asked. Edward and I had gotten close this summer, he was very protective of me and I could understand why. He was an only child, even in a house full of adoptive children and a loving girlfriend and parents, he was still lonely. He yearned for a younger sibling with whom he could share all his interests, his love for music and poetry. Luckily, I shared his love for music, though I did not play an instrument, but we loved talking about classical music and our passion for The Beatles.

"Not bad, though I don't particularly like Art," he said.

"No fair, how come I have P.E when you don't?" I complained as he threw his arm casually over my shoulders.

"P.E is only mandatory for two years," he shrugged. It wasn't fair; the schools I went to had P.E in the afternoon, so it wasn't that bad.

"Brilliant," I groaned and followed him through the crowded hallways, making our way to the physics classroom.

"Don't worry Rennie, it'll be a breeze," he laughed and pulled me into the classroom.

******

The lunch room was crowded when I walked in, circular tables where everywhere, some were pushed together and others simply pulled up an extra chair to the table. I spotted Angela and Bella; they were both sitting at a table that was pushed against another table. Angela spotted me and waved, while Bella just mumbled something into her salad. I spotted Rosalie sitting at another table surrounded by girls in cheerleading uniforms, and Emmett, Edward and Jasper were sitting at a table surrounded by guys in football jerseys. I wonder why they don't sit together. I walked over to the lunch line and got myself a chocolate brownie and a soda, I wasn't really hungry.

"Hey stranger," I low, husky voice said behind me. I jumped, almost dropping my brownie as I turned around to face that brown eyed asshole I couldn't get out of my head.

"Hey yourself." Am I seriously flirting with this guy, I don't even know his name! I am such an idiot. He smirked that sexy smirk at me, almost making me weak in the knees. I remembered last night, in my room, his lips at my ear, whispering sweet nothings, it was all too much. Stop thinking about his lips at your ear you idiot! You're going to lose it! Pull yourself together! He seemed to sense my reaction to his smirk and it grew wider. Breathe Rennie!

"Glad to see me?" he raised his eyebrows and took a step closer to me. I couldn't breathe anymore, I didn't want to know what he smelled like, and it would be intoxicating.

"That depends," I breathed. He smirked and took another step closer to me and I couldn't help breathing in his scent. He smelled spicy, exotic, it was overwhelming.

"Alec, back off," I heard Edward growling. I jumped away from him, immediately retreating to Edward's side. Edward could be very scary when he was mad, and the way he growled at the guy, Alec, made me afraid of him.

"Oh come on Edward, I was just having some fun," he said. Was he actually challenging Edward? Not even Emmett dared to cross Edward when he was mad; everyone in Forks knew to steer clear of him when he was mad. The entire lunch room went silent as they watched the scene that was about to unfold.

"Not with my sister, not again," Edward growled menacingly. Alec didn't back up, instead he maintained perfect eye contact with Edward and stayed relatively calm.

"Oh so this is the new Cullen," he spat, looking at Edward with mischief in his eyes.

"Stay away from her Alec."

"Is that a threat Cullen," he challenged.

"Yes it is."