Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Love at long last

RPOV

When I pulled up to Alec’s house he was already waiting for me. He was leaning against the porch railing, his hair falling into his eyes attractively. He was wearing a pair of dark blue jeans and a white t-shirt. He gave me a sad smile when I walked up to him and it made me want to wrap my arms around him and comfort him.

“So they told you,” he said. It wasn’t a question. I nodded and stood next to him. I could tell he was bursting with questions. I nudged him, telling him to ask me anything.  “Why aren’t you running and hiding?” he asked bitterly.

“Because they have a problem with you, I don’t.” he raised his eyebrows and grabbed my arm, pulling me into his house. It was every bit as impressive as the Cullen’s house. The entrance was large with white marble floors and a fountain in the middle. From the ceiling hung a large golden chandelier, illuminating the entire entrance. It was a bright contrast against the gloomy weather outside. The house seemed empty, but I got a peek into the kitchen when we climbed up the stairs. I got a flash of blonde and brown hair, which I presumed was Jane and Heidi.

He led me to his room, which was as messy as any boys’. He opened one of the windows and motioned for me to climb through. I climbed onto the roof, it was a nice place to sit, it had a great view of the forest and you could even see the lake. Alec climbed out next to me, a bottle of Johnny Walker in his hand.

“Where did you get that?” I asked as we sat down. He gave me an evil grin and pointed to the window.

“I keep a secret stash in my room for occasions like this,” he said, unscrewing the bottle and taking a swing.

“Occasions like this?” I asked as I took the bottle from him, putting the lid back on. He raised his eyebrows. “Don’t drink around me please, don’t smoke either.”

“So I can drink and smoke when you are not around?” he asked.

I shrugged. I wasn’t going to try and change him, Alice had tried too hard, and he still hadn’t stopped. “Yeah you can.” He smiled brightly and then laid back, his hands behind his head.

“So what brings you here?” he asked.

“I'm not going to judge you on what you did, and I'm not going to hold a grudge against you like the rest of my family.” Alec sat up, there was a mix of hope and happiness on his face, before it vanished, replaced by bitterness.

“Did they tell you the whole story?” he asked. I nodded. Alec growled and jumped up, pacing the length of the roof. “No, I can’t let this happen again, I was seriously just screwing around, trying to mess with Edward….” He mumbled under his breath.

“What do you mean you were screwing around?” I asked. He looked at me; his expression saying come on, it’s obvious. Suddenly I clicked, it was like all the puzzle pieces falling into place. When he kissed Bella at the party, flirting shamelessly with me in front of Edward and the rest of my family, it was all about revenge for destroying his life. I stared at him, not sure what to say, or feel.

“When I kissed Bella, I just wanted to make Edward pay, by taking everything he loves away,” he mumbled, looking at his feet, his hair covering his eyes. I tried very hard to keep my voice steady as I spoke.

“You knew who I was when we met in the furniture store, didn’t you? So you were just screwing with me too?” I asked acid in my voice. He looked at me, he opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but he couldn’t form the right words. My eyes stung with tears, but I refused to let him see me cry. He wasn’t worthy of my families forgiveness, they should have driven him out of town, permanently. I turned around, walking back to the window. I had to get out of here, right now. I tried pulling open the window, but it was stuck.