Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Aftermath

RPOV

 I woke up to the soft rays of the sun tickling my face. I felt no pain, the burning sensation from before was gone and now it felt like I was floating on a cloud. I must be dead; this is what death should feel like, peaceful, easy. I slowly opened my eyes, I was lying in a white room, and it was mostly empty except for a blue couch, coffee table and magazine stand. The couch looked slept on; there was a blanket and a pillow lying in disarray on it, like someone left in a hurry.  Two cups of coffee stood on the small table next to the couch and the magazines looked untouched. The room had a large window overlooking a beautiful garden full of orchards. I was vaguely aware of a soft beeping sound coming from somewhere above my head. I shifted in my bed, trying to see where it came from.

That was a mistake.

A piercing pain shot through my chest and my whole body ached when I inhaled deeply. I tried moving again to get some relief from what felt like a ton of bricks pressing down on my chest, and then I realized that I couldn’t feel my legs nor could I move them. This wasn’t heaven, this was hell.  

The beeping grew louder as I tried in vain to move my legs. The pain in my chest grew more intense and I struggled to breathe. I tried to reach for my legs, but I yanked my arm back and screamed out in pain. My shoulder felt like someone had tried to pull it out of its socket. The beeping grew louder as I continued to trash around. The door opened and Carlisle walked in, he looked like he hadn’t slept in days and yet he still looked calm. He grabbed my hand to try and stop me from thrashing around.

“Renesmee honey I need you to keep calm, you are going to hurt yourself.” I shook my head, I tried to speak, but all I could manage was small squeaks. I wanted to know why I couldn’t feel my legs. Carlisle sighed and pulled a syringe from his coat pocket. My eyes widened and I froze, staring at the large needle. “If you don’t calm down, I will stick this in your arm,” he glared at me and I immediately shut up and calmed down. He sighed and leaned over me to reach for the glass of water on the bedside table. He handed it to me and I took it, slowly drinking. My throat immediately felt better and I continued until the glass was empty. Carlisle walked to the foot of my bed and picked up my chart. He said nothing as he wrote down a few notes.

“What happened?” I asked quietly.

“You need rest,” he said. He walked over, picking up one of the tubes connected to my arm. He injected the fluid from the syringe into the tubes, lightly kissing my forehead before leaving. It wasn’t long before I dozed off again.

********* 

When I woke up it was dark in my room and I was once again alone. This time I managed to sit up straight. My shoulder still hurts like hell, I wondered if I could get some pain meds. I fumbled around for the button to call for the nurse. Before I could even press it the door flew open and Alice, Edward, Rose, Jasper, Bella, Emmett, Esme and Carlisle stormed in.

“Thank goodness you’re alright,” Esme said, hugging me. I winced in pain and she pulled back, her hands covering her mouth. “I'm so sorry dear.”

“That’s okay Mom,” I looked at Carlisle. “My shoulder hurts, can I get some pain meds?” I asked. Carlisle nodded and left the room. Bella walked over, slowly sitting on my bed. Her eyes were red and puffy, and it looked she hasn’t slept in days.

“I'm so glad you are alright,” she said. Edward sighed walking over and kissing my forehead. Rose and Emmett stationed themselves at the foot of my bed; Rose was still crying a bit as Emmett simply held her hand. Alice and Jasper sat on the couch, their arms around each other.