Working the beat

Zee's POV

As I open the door to the limo I am met with the sound of cheering and applause. Smiling, I look at the rest of the girls as they continue to celebrate.

"Please, no autographs," I joke as I take my seat.

"Well, that was exciting!" Shantel chimes as the cheering subsides. Not a strand on her brown wavy bob out of place.

I have to admit, I agree with her. The adrenaline from the kill is still pumping through me as I throw my shoes on the floor, and remind myself to think about wearing a practical heel on the next job. Ha! Who am I kidding? I'll just make sure they don't have a chance to run next time.

We head back to Spanky's, all the while the girls continue to talk amongst themselves. Laughing and recalling their favourite parts from the scene that just unfolded before their eyes.

I notice Frenchie doesn't seem to be joining in with the celebrations, instead she glares out the window, twisting the tassels from her dress in between her fingers. Her almond shaped eyes never once looking back inside the car. I open my mouth to ask her what's wrong when I am interrupted by Lucy who has been quiet for most of the journey.

"--What the fuck happened out there?" she demands. Aiming the question at us all, her tone sharp and direct. The girls and I watch as the pupils of her eyes shrink with rage with every passing second that goes by without an answer.

Confused, Shantel finally answers, "what's the problem, Lucy? Jack's dead. Just like Kimber ordered."

Bri laughs, "only because Zee had bigger balls than all three of those goons out there."

Although I try not to let them see, I can't help but smirk at how true this is. I put my hand up to silence the laughter. "Girls, Lucy is right. That job was far from ideal. Too many surprises for our liking," I explain, sensing that Lucy is getting close to losing her shit.

Her anger boiling over, Lucy all but leaps from her seat, "why were they there? Gina didn't mention that they would be there tonight. She would have told us if she knew. There is no way she'd let us go after Jack at the same time as The Dolans."

The whole car goes silent for the second time in as many minutes, as the realisation of just how bad things could have gone hits each of them.

I look at the group and notice one face is looking even more uneasy than the others. "Everything alright, Frenchie?" I question.

She looks over and gives me a small nod, tucking her black hair behind her ears, before looking back out the window. I decide not to push the subject reasoning that tonight was probably a little too much excitement for her.

Frenchie has been with us since the beginning. She's an original. She's great with the planning. She's pretty much Kimber's right hand gal. The one Kimber goes to for advice when she needs help setting things in motion, but she doesn't often join us on the missions and I guess it's a little over whelming.

Steff leans over from in between the front seats. "Just so you both know, we were about to come out to help but it seemed like Grayson had your back, Zee," she muses, emphasising the 'e's' with a smirk.

I don't like the accusation in her tone but I need to be careful not to overreact. I must remain impartial, at least on the outside.

I ball my fists and dig my nails into my palm in an attempt to hide my frustrations. "Ha! Steff, he probably just had enough of the jerk- just like we did. We all know Jack was a real ass clown. Anyway, more like you didn't want to leave the limo. Too many good memories in here for you, eh?" I reply hoping that I have sufficiently deflected the accusation.