Failed

Ethan's POV:

Ten minutes? Yeah right. This feels like the longest ten minutes of my life waiting for them two to reappear. They need to hurry the fuck up because I need another drink.

The joint comes alive again with applause as Lucy hits the last note of her set. I can't help myself as I discreetly peer over my left shoulder, I catch a glimpse of her just as she heads off backstage where she will probably remain to avoid me until I leave. I begin to drum on the bar top as I continue to wait impatiently. Just then, a cute dame comes behind the bar.

"Sorry, I'm not sure where Zee has gone. Are you waiting to be served?" she asks, smiling politely.

"Erm, yeah. I think the bar woman said she needed to get some more fruit for her mixes, Miss....?" I reply as politely as possible. Zee fucking owes me one for making excuses up for her.

"Steff. Call me Steff. Or Babyface, whichever you prefer," she says tucking a piece of her dark hair flirtatiously behind her ear.

"Ok Steff it is," I say with a raise of my brow. A move I know the ladies just love. "So I don't have to wait any longer I'll just have my usual please, "I add. Playing games with the poor dame, knowing full well she won't know what it is. Zee is the only person to ever serve me here.

Clearly unaware of what my 'usual' is she ponders for a moment before apologising, "sorry sir, I'm not sure of what that is."

Just as I open my mouth to reply, a familiar voice from behind answers for me. "Whiskey on the rocks. Brown plaid," they instruct, getting it right.

My heart begins pounding as the familiar sweet smell of her perfume surrounds me as she takes a seat next to me. It takes all my will power not to turn around to face her. I need to act as casual as possible.

"Yeah, what she said. Please." I answer. A slightly bemused expression is visible on Lucy's face, clearly proud of the fact she knew my order. She composes herself. Taking the time to light a cigarette before she begins speaking again.

Oblivious to our connection Steff smiles, and I start to see why they call her babyface. "Oh, in that case you're in luck! I think I saw Shantel filling the barrel up whilst I was down there earlier, so a virgin barrel just for you."

"Virgin. Just the way I like it," I joke causing her to giggle as she walks off.

"Where the fuck are they?" Lucy whispers out of ear shot of our present company while not taking her eyes off the girl with the baby face, who disappears down the back.

A plume of smoke surrounds her but she's still beautiful. I take a deep breath. I need to calm myself. I try not to overthink the fact that she's sitting next to me or the fact that despite ignoring me for over a week that she's actually talking to me. I wave my hand clearing the smoke from my face before answering, "where do you think? ...They were supposed to be back before you finished your set!"

Lucy sighs heavily just as Steff returns, handing me my drink.

"Hey Steff, why don't you take Mr Peacock a drink out too? I'm sure he'll be grateful for one on a warm night like tonight!" Lucy suggests in a clear attempt to dismiss her.

"Good thinking, Angel! You ok to watch the bar until Zee returns?" she asks, taking Lucy up on her suggestion.

"No need. I'm back," Zee chips in as she returns solo from her fumble in the tunnel with Gray. Taking up her rightful spot behind the bar. "Thanks, Steff."

Without hesitation Steff grabs a beer and goes off to find this 'Mr Peacock' fellow. She crosses paths with Gray who appears from out of nowhere, but it barely registers as she makes her way up the stairs. He is smiling but he won't be for long. Unbeknownst to him he is about to be faced with Lucy's wrath. Who's anger I can practically feel radiating off her lily-white skin.