XIX

Now Leo was gone too, you didn't see him anymore after the graduation night when you woke up dazed in your bed at 5 AM all he left was a note on your nightstand.

"I'm sorry that I have to leave you like this but I don't deserve a person as kind, honest and like you because I would only end up destroying you. I'm sorry I wasn't brave enough to tell you about my work or to snatch you away from Hongbin. Please don't wait for me or try to find me, because I'm not the one you should be looking for.

Thank you for giving me a lot of wonderful memories"

It took you around five seconds to process everything and start to crease the paper in your fist so hard you could feel your nails buried on the palm of your hand.

- Damn you, Leo, you coward! – you cried your lungs out, not even caring if your family or neighbors could hear you. The tears flowed as if they had been filling your eyes since long ago, you fell on your knees, holding yourself together because it felt like you were being ripped in pieces.

The sound of the clock made it worse, like every second was telling you Leo was getting further away from you.

But then your inner voice told you to get out and search for him so you could stop him unlike you did with Hongbin when just stayed there and cried. You stopped sobbing and wiped away the tears while standing up to walk towards the door. You placed you hand on the doorknob, hesitating.

Please don't wait for me or try to find me

You remembered as your hand slipped back to your side.

- I won't. - You sighed - At least until I find Hongbin... I'll give up on you.

Leo boarded the first train in the morning to the city you once told him Hongbin had moved to. Once there he visited the one that appeared to be his friend's new home: a small apartment complex located on the suburbs. He reached a door with "15" on it. Took a deep breathe and raised his hands to knock a few times, none of them received an answer.

- Hongbin? – he called out – Lee Hongbin! – he raised his voice an octave up.

But only silence replied. He thought about the worse case scenarios and started to walk in circles like a lion in a cage when the door "16" opened.

- who are you? – an old man asked.

Leo bowed to greet him.

- Excuse me, sir. I'm looking for Hongbin, Your neighbor.

- mmmm... I just remember seeing them once. But since the paid 6 months of rent in advance, I haven't talked to them...now that you mention it, it's been quite silent for a while...

Leo would have rolled his eyes but it was an old man so he didn't do so out of respect.

- Do you have their phone number?

- I'm sorry, I can't give you that information...

-But...

- Please, understand – the grandpa bowed and got back inside his house again almost slamming his door on his face.

- damn it – Leo whispered and leaned his back against the door with "16" on it.

- excuse me? – a boy's voice echoed through the hallway, the black haired guy lifted his head to meet a tall and pale boy with spiky hair. – are you looking for Hongbin? Is he a friend of yours? – he spoke with an innocent tone.

After hearing those words Leo stood up in a swift movement getting his eyes at the same height as the apparently younger man. He nodded to answer the question.

- Prove it – he threw a suspicious look to Leo.

Leo grabbed his phone and slit his finger on the screen until he found a picture of Hongbin, you and him. It was a selfie you took some months ago. The long haired guy was smiling brightly, you were smiling as well and he was with a poker face on.

It was enough to convince him and he relaxed his shoulders.

- Ok, I believe you; I think your worried expression is legit... I'm SanHyuk. I live in room 19.

- Do you know where he is? – Leo tried his best to maintain his composure and hide his already wrecked nerves.

- I know, actually I was waiting for a relative to show up but several months had passed now, so I concluded he has no family or friends.... Even that girl,whom he always bragged about hasn't called or visited him... - he stopped when he noticed Leo's face color going fading away.

- What do you mean by that? – he grabbed Hyuk's forearms rather strong – Is he dead?!

The boy remained silent for half a second but Leo felt like it was a minute.

- No, he is not dead! – he answered gesturing his hand to calm him down - But... - hyuk's face turned darker as he spoke - he is in a coma, it's been three months since that accident... he dindt even had the chance to burry his own father.

Leo felt as his chest and conscience were being stabbed but still managed to keep his cool.

- can you tell me which hospital he is in?

- Of course, let's go. – he walked a few steps before turning back to your friend – but he is not in a hospital.

- What? – he stopped in a halt - Why?!

- I saw it, they were being persecuted so the prosecutor decided to protect him by taking him to a low profile clinic.

You arrived to the apartment complex and started knocking the door with all you strength.

- Lee Hongbin! Open the door! – you shouted.

Once again the old man next door opened the door to step out with a clearly angry face.

- yah! I told you he is not here... - he stopped in his tracks when he saw it wasn't Leo.

- Hello, sir – you greeted politely. – I'm Hongbin's best friend, do you know if he will come back home soon.

- I tell you the same I told that guy: he and his dad haven't shown up since months ago...

Your knees went weak and you could almost swear that gravity has become stronger but it was your pride that keep you on you feet.

- what? – you questioned - Did something happen to them?

- I do not know!! – he shouted deliriously and was about to close his door but you stopped him making him glare at you.

- wait! You said another guy came looking for Hongbin...

- yes, a poker face...