XI

- I'm sorry, Hongbin - was all Leo could say as he approached his unconscious friend on bed.

When he stood beside him he noticed the dark purple under his lids were even darker and a fine but deep scratch came out below the bandage. He gulped trying to eliminate the lump forming in his throat while images of the graduation of the ball hit his mind: you in that purple dress smiling, saying you wanted Hongbin to be there, then you crying as he rejected you.

- You were supposed to be there, not me... I'm sorry.

Then he got himself together before letting out a loud sigh

"You know, if I try to avenge you... I'll drag myself to jail with that woman... I'm a selfish coward... but I can disappear from your lives" he couldn't say it because Hyuk was hearing everything even though he was making a call.

"So you better wake up...wake up and take her away .... Make her happy"

Hyuk entered the room with soundless steps.

- Come on, my dad wants to see you. You will have to declare everything you know.

Leo nodded and followed him out.

***********

You and N keep searching in every place but with no results. The night had already fallen and streets were left empty, only people pulling down stores metallic curtains and cleaning the sidewalks could be seen.

- I think you should go home, it'll get dangerous around here in a few hours - N said

- Yeah... I need to take the train... Thank you, Hakyeon.

- Don't mind. So... see you next week to keep looking for him.

- Of course, if it wasn't for the college entrance ceremony I would be here tomorrow but Hongbin would scold me if I skip it.

- I think so too - he smiled at you - well, I walk you near the station.

- Thank you.

Once you arrived there was 20 minutes before the last train arrived but Hakyeon had something else to do so he said good bye. You sat on a bench to rest your exhausted feet and closed your eyes.

"Where are you Hongbin?"

Without noticing the train was already arriving to the platform so you almost jumped from your seat and walked to the automatic door that opened so you could get in. The car was almost empty, good for you, but once you sat again you noticed a familiar face next to the bench you just were on. His saddened look as your eyes met made your heart flinch, his eyes had turned darker and it was like light had abandoned him. You opened your mouth to call his name even knowing it was useless but didn't so. You just keep looking him in the eye while the train started to move and take you away.

- Good bye, Leo - you whispered and broke the eye contact turning your back on him.

Leo kept looking at you knowing your pride wouldn't let you turn back.

Little did you know his feet would start to move slowly on their own like he was trying to run after you but stopped a few steps.

You could feel his gaze on your back.

4 years later

- yah! - Hakyeon screamed while holding a huge paper box - won't you decide already?

- ash! ok, leave it there - you replied pointing at the corner of the room.

Four years passed without knowing anything about Hongbin... or Leo since that time in the train station you never saw him again, just like your best friend he vanished as well.

Now you had finished college and found a job in the same city Hongbin disappeared. It was perfect, you had plenty of time to look for him and still make some money. You and Hakyeon had become really close to each other since you met every weekend to search for Hongbin.

- It's almost done! - you contemplated your new apartment

It was winter season so light was kind of dim on the orange painted walls and wooden floor.

- We should make something for dinner, once we finish unpack.

- I want hot chocolate - Hakyeon said smiling while putting down the box next to the fake fire-place

- I'll try ... you know I'm a terrible cook.

- Don't worry, I'll do it! I don't want to die yet...

You threw a cushion at him a little bit strong enough to make him stumble but he just laughed. You found his smile or laugh contagious like no matter what happened you could always smile just by watching him

The night fell and you and Hakyeon were sitting on the couch watching TV, you left everything unfinished and decided to slack around so the living room was full of opened boxes. You could see him closing his eyes slowly and then opening them again when the TV sounded louder.

- I better go - he finally say

- It's late - you said - why don't you sleep over?

he thought it over but not too long before he nodded happily in agreement and stood up to look for a pillow and a blanket for the night was chilly. You took the remote to search for something interesting but something in the news caught you attention:

It was Ken going out form a court with a guy being surrounded by reporters, both of them with their head down.

"Today, it had been confirmed that the suspect has been convicted on charges of manslaughter of Lee family"

Their name rang a bell in your mind but you decided to shut it down since there were a lot of Lee families.

"Mr. Lee was found dead in the place years ago, but his son which name was not revealed is still missing, the police department will continue to look for accomplices..."

You kept staring at the screen but your mind was blank

- Hey!- are you okay? - N appeared in front of you

- I'm fine... just some news that sounded like it was Hongbin... - you answered like a zombie

- Really?!

N literally threw the pillow and blanket aside and turned around to see the news but the report was already over.

- Is he alive? - He said

- I don't even know... - you were in a trance

He placed his hands on your shoulder with enough strength to make you look at him, blinking a few times to clear your sight.

- Don't worry - he sighed - WE WILL FIND HIM - he emphasized

----------

Leo breathed out the smoke and stubbed out the cigarette as contemplated the sunset through his window when someone slammed the door opened making him stand up from the couch in a split second

- hyung! - Hyuk shouted out of breath as he entered the room

- what's wrong? - Leo's eyes opened twice their size

- it's him...he - he rested his hands on his kneed - he is awake...

- what?

- Hongbin is awake...