XXIV

You held the phone with both hands and tried to process everything that just happened; you just broke Leo's heart, just after you woke up. Now you had to call Hongbin so that Leo's broken heart wouldn't be in vain.

- I wish you could find your own happiness, Leo...I'm sorry – you prayed.

After a few sighs you dialed, Hongbin's number and it didn't get through.

"Maybe he is busy" and waited a couple of minutes and dialed his number again. Your anxiety grew bigger with every ring you heard on the speaker.

Just before you were about to hang up, he answered.

- Hongbin? – you said.

- You're awake! ...Thank goodness.

You hummed the answer.

-Is everything okay? – he asked; you could swear he wasn't expecting your call

- I'm fine ... I want to see you – mumbled – can you come to see me.

Hongbin bit his bottom lips and sighed.

"She wasn't supposed to be asking this and I wasn't supposed to be taking her calls!" he scolded himself but the moment he saw your name on his phone' screen all his right judgment failed.

- o- of course – he lied, even if he wanted to, he was too far away from you to be able to get to the hospital today – but what happened?

- I was talking to Leo just know.

His whole body stiffened at the mention of his friend-turned-rival.

- Did he do something to you? – concern was clear on his voice.

- He said that you said things to him that you should be telling me.

Hongbin remained silent before letting out a sigh. He took his hand to his face and pulled his hair away from his eyes.

"Damn you Leo"

- You want to know? – he asked with a serious tone.

- I want to tell you the things I should have told you since a long time ago...

"Oh God..." he thought.

- first let me explain: I want you to be happy, even if it's not with me...

- What? How could I be happy if I'm not with the person I love? – you answered

- I know, that's what I left, so you could love him without regrets – he added.

- Hongbin you don't understand! Wait, what? – you yelled and flushed from the wounds in your stomach. Your voice was still hoarse – you left?

After a few thought he finally seemed to understand what you were trying to say. His face lightened up as his mouth curved up into a grin

- Yeah... I thought it was the best for you – he said with regret.

- I'm the only one who decides what's best for me – you huffed on the phone – where are you?

You heard him chuckle softly.

- I'm nowhere near you - he scoffed.

- Then, I'll say it on the phone before something else happens. Hongbin...I

- wait! Don't say it! I'm on my way back – he said as he took his jacket for hanger and headed outside at full speed.

- I'll be right here – you said playfully not containing the smile showing up on your face.

Hongbin drove at the maximum speed his car allowed him to, so maybe he could get to the hospital in less than a day. He took his phone and dialed Leo's number who was sitting in a park near the hospital, when his phone rang; he took it out and pondered if he should take the call or not, by now you must have already told Hongbin what you feel and he wasn't sure if he wanted to get more pain that he already had.

He ended up ignoring the call.

- Sorry, Hongbin. - Wisps of steam could be seen every time he exhaled. - It's not like if nothing happened. You took the woman I love. - He mumbled and threw back his head to look at the grayish, cloudy winter sky.

Sound of heels started to get closer until it stopped in front of him.

- Leo? – a familiar female voice said.

Leo leaned his head back to see the beautiful woman he met on his high school days (chapter VI), the one who encouraged him to go after you, she already had a fiancée but he noticed she wasn't wearing a ring.

- You? – he tried to remember her name – what are you doing here? Did you move after getting married?

Pain flashed on her eyes, and he immediately felt empathy towards her

- He died before the wedding...

- I'm sorry - Leo said and actually meant it.

- Don't be- she said while sitting next to him before letting out a breathe - it was during the funeral that he had been two-timing me this whole time...

 Leo was at a loss of words and she giggled.

- Don't make that face...oh! What happened to the girl,, the one you liked - he asked without feelings but still poured salt on the wound.

Leo shook his head negatively and she gasped.

- What? Was she blind? - she waved her hands in the air

He weakly smiled and she softly poked on his hurt arm.

- Do you want to go for a coffee? I know a good place that serves the best Americano ever - her smile was bright.

His body tensed and he hesitated.

- Sorry, I don't do that anymore... No more errands - he huffed.

- Me neither- she answered to his surprise - it's just a coffee, no strings attached.

Leo hesitated but finally accepted the request of the beautiful woman. He stood up and followed her.