Chapter 3: I am sorry, Larentia

Anna

I rush home and start working on tomorrow's class and plan some of the other classes for the week. All of this just to distract myself. Luna Marcy called me earlier and asked me to go to the pack house as soon as possible.

My biological mother was the Luna's best friend and the daughter of the Alpha of a pack which was wiped off by rogues in her home country. That's what Luna Marcy said. Since my first shift, it was obvious that I have Alpha blood in me. But, I was busy ignoring the past to care about all that.

I pack some clothes for that night and tomorrow's outfit and drive to the pack house. I'll bring more outfits next time I come around. Luna Marcy was waiting for me in front of the house. As soon as she sees me, she breaks down crying. 

"Emma! It has been so long." She pulls me into a tight hug and I can barely breathe. I have no idea who Emma is.

A tall handsome man rushes out from the main door. He looks just like an older version of Caleb, so he must be the Alpha. His eyes were black, his wolf in the surface, but he calms down once he sees me.

"Emma is that you?" he asks cocking his head to the side.

The Luna finally releases me.

"Oh... Hello Alpha and Luna. I'm Anna nice to meet you." I bow. "May I know who Emma is?"

A yearning look flashes through the Luna's eyes but it's quickly replaced with excitement. "Emma was your mother sweetie. Excuse us, you look just like her. Come with me, let me show you."

She drags me inside of the house and to a room full of portraits. The Luna shows me a picture of a younger version of the Alpha and the Luna and a woman in the middle of them with her arms across both of their shoulders. The woman looks just like me, but with shorter hair and a more tomboy/fighter style.

"Oh my gosh, my mom was a third wheel!"

'Pretty nice, Anna. We finally see a picture of our mom and this is your reaction,' said my wolf.

Oh, are you finally done feeling sorry for yourself? 

'Shut up.'

The Luna and the Alpha laugh.

"That sounds like something she would say!" the Alpha says.

"Your mother was actually our matchmaker dear," the Luna winks, so poised. When I wink, it looks as if I am having a stroke.

"I have some more work to do, so I am leaving to the main house. I'll leave you to catch up." The alpha gives the Luna a quick kiss and leaves.

The Luna and I walk into a smaller room where tea is already served.

"So, tell me how has your life been? Tell me about your family," the Luna says.

"I lost my parents when a was one year old and was adopted by a human couple. I left home after my first shift and the Alpha of the Silver Fang Pack found me and raised me. Thanks to him I've reconnected with my human parents."

"Oh, so you were raised by the Alpha Family. How did you become the Beta?"

I smile politely. "We lost our Beta and his wife a while ago and his only son was seven at the time. I took over the responsibilities as Beta of the pack and head of the warriors at the age of eighteen. The future Beta is fifteen."

"Oh, poor boy. It must have been so difficult for him to lose his parents at such a young age. How is he doing?"

"Right now, he's training in a neighboring pack. I'm planning to keep on training him here in a couple of months if the Alpha approves. He looks up to me as a mother figure. Way to make a girl feel old." I chuckle.

The Luna snickered. "Oh, so you know the struggles of raising a teenage son."

"Sadly."

"I'm sorry for what happened to your parents. If I'd known, I would have taken you in." She puts her hand on mine.

"Don't feel bad, Luna. I have no regrets about my life at the moment. My only pain is not having found my mate yet." I smile and squeeze her hand.

"Soon you will, Anna. Call me Marcy by the way. You are like family."

"Thank you, Marcy."

We talked for about an hour about our likes and dislikes and it turned out we had similar tastes. We agreed to have lunch together, tomorrow. Talking to her made me feel closer to my mother.

"Your room is the fourth on the right on the second floor, I put a Moon sticker on top of the door frame. Goodnight, Anna."

We say our goodbyes and I go find my room. Keeping my eyes open is a constant struggle. I'm so sleepy. I walk up the stairs and turn around. I count one, two, three, four rooms. This must be it. The door isn't locked so I open it.

There's Caleb with the two girls from this afternoon--one of them on her fours and the other knelt beside him kissing him.

"Harder..." the blonde one says, and he begins thrusting harder. 

Now, I'm awake. "Oops, wrong room. Sorry."

His gaze meets mine and he stops. He says something that I don't bother listening to as I sprint out of the room, slamming the door shut behind me.

Larentia is already whimpering and I roll my eyes as I walk back to the stairs. I had effectively taken left instead of right. I facepalm. This time, I check for the sticker before opening the door. Yes, this is the room.

I sank into the soft king sized bed and observe the room. It's painted in lavender tones. It has a walking closet, a black dressing table, a small brown sofa facing the large windows with a bookshelf on one side and a desk with a chair on the other. I even got my own bathroom.

The room is way better than I expected. I consider for a moment moving in here permanently but then laugh at the silly idea. My possible mate lives down the hall and he seems like a fuckboy. Larentia has not shut up her sobbing yet.

It's official, we're getting a new mate. There's no way I'm accepting that kid.

Larentia growls. 'Are you seriously suggesting what I think you are suggesting? You were as opposed to the idea as much as I was.'

I was against the idea, but he's going to reject us. I can feel it. Call it intuition or experience, but I just think that we will wait four months only to have our heart broken.

She sighs. Thankfully she still isn't head over heels for him.

'Let's make a deal,' said Larentia.

I'm listening.

'If he rejects us I swear I am going to give up immediately. I won't mope around and... I'll accept whatever choice mate you pick.'

In the case a werewolf's mate dies or if he/she is rejected by his or her mate, after accepting the rejection it's possible to find a new mate as long as the wolf approves of her/him. This rarely happens, though, as wolves are too stubborn to give up their mates even after rejection.

What's the catch?

'One kiss... That is the only thing I ask for. One kiss from my true mate, and then I'll forget about him. I'll use these months to mentally prepare for what may happen.'

Take it easy. He might not reject us. I'm just being paranoid.

This negativity is making me guilty. I wish my intuition told me otherwise, but I can't ignore what I have right before my eyes. That kid isn't going to give up his man-whoring ways for me.

'I trust your instinct and your judgment Anna. If you say it, it must be true. I might be being blind because of the bond.'

I am sorry, Larentia.