Chapter 10: Deal?

A/N: Song "I Feel Like I'm Drowning," by  Two Feet.

Anna

Caleb takes me outside of the pack house to a garden I had never noticed before. Since we're in the middle of Fall, the leaves of the trees are tinted in shades of orange and red. It's lovely in here.

A lone cheeping sparrow catches my attention. I love birds. Once, I wished to be an ornithologist. We sit on a bench that's almost hidden between pinkish leaves. Seeing him here alone with me makes my breath hitch. He truly is beautiful.

Caleb is the first one to talk, effectively breaking the comfortable silence we were in. "So, what brings you here? Did you decide to give in to my charm?"

I scoff and roll my eyes. "Oh my gosh, why are you always so cringy? First, technically I live here. Second, you're still a kid to me and third, I'm not here by my own choice."

He clenches his jaw and grits his teeth, as expected. One thing he hates is being called a kid, which he is. He quickly recovers and looks at me with a smirk.

"Then, why were you waiting for me? Did you enjoy the show?" He chuckles.

I signal to my headphones. "Thankfully, I did not. Anyway, how have you been lately?"

He arches an eyebrow and I shrug. Small talk attempt number one has failed.

"Did you almost barged into my room today while I was clearly busy to ask me how I have been doing?" He bursts into laughter.

My cheeks heat up. I look away from him but he grabs my chin and makes me look at him.

"This is a good look on you." He caresses my cheek with his thumb sending sparks than tempt me to do much more than just talk.

"I can't do this!" I stand up from the bench. "I'll go straight to the point, Mr. King. Your mother and father asked me to talk to you because apparently, you have a problem." I use air quotes. "And it isn't like a can refuse an Alpha and a Luna request."

"What do you mean?" His hands curl into fists and his nose flares up. This guy seriously has some anger issues.

"Apparently, you've been taking girls to the Alpha's house. Your parents are worried that your future mate is watching you and your man-whore ways." I jeer at his reaction.

"Why would they tell that to you?" He stands up from the bench to pace beside it, stomping his feet. "They had no right. What am I? A kid?"

"Your guess is as good as mine. The Luna did mention something about me being a figure of authority and closer to your age."

He stares up and down at me. "Plus you are hot," he says matter-of-factly. "I guess, I can understand their logic." He runs a hand through his shiny and silky dark brown hair and groans.

"So, we could make a deal."

He stands there looking me in the eye like trying to read if I'm being serious. I've never been more serious.

"You want to make a deal with me?" He points himself as he walks toward me, smirking. Can he like smile for once instead of smirking? That would be cute.

I stand my ground not letting any emotion reflect on my face. "It's quite simple, actually. Your mother wants me to be your friend for some weird reason. We could just meet once or twice a week and talk or play video games or something and you stop taking girls to the Alpha's house."

"So you'll be mine twice a week?" he asks with a sly smile.

"Absolutely no! I'd be your friend and only that." I emphasized the word friend.

"Have you seen what my female friends and I usually do?" He puts his hands in his pockets a shrugging his shoulders.

"Yes, but I'll act like a real friend to you just so your parents are happy. No funny business."

"I don't know, Anna. I've never been just friends with a girl." He hums and touches his chin as if thinking about something important.

I didn't want to do this but desperate times require desperate measures. I stand up and cling to the sleeve of his sweater with both of my hands tugging at it softly and give him my best puppy eyes. I have to look up to meet his gaze. I hate how even teenagers are taller than me.

"Caleb, please help me. I'm not a part of this pack, so I can only be here because of the Alpha's kindness. I don't want to disappoint them. Please?" I pout and bit my lower lip.

He just gapes as his heart races until it could get out of his chest. He gulps. His eyes are turning golden. He turns his gaze away from mine, looking down and covering his face with his free hand.

I smirk let one hand off his sleeve and instead grab his hand, tugging at his arm again. The sparks of his touch and a warm fuzzy feeling run through my body. "Please?"

He turns to me again, his hand covering his mouth and I swear he looks at me with loving smiling eyes. He moves his hand away from his mouth and caresses my cheek, sending waves of happiness through me. He's smiling. 

Larentia feels like moving her tail from happiness. I would say she purred, but wolves don't purr. For once, she doesn't try to take control. She just enjoys the moment.

I give him a small smile and he leaned down to kiss me, his eyes now completely golden. I do the logical thing to do and let go of his hand and take three steps back. He growls and closes his eyes taking deep breaths. When he looks back at me his eyes are back to normal.

"So, what do you say? Can I be your fake friend?" I ask grinning, bouncing on my toes and putting my hands together. 

He frowns taps his chin again staring at nothing before the corners of his lips curl into a smile. His expression changes to a happy one.

"What about this? I behave in front of my parents and you, in turn, become my real friend. No acting and no hidden intentions."

He shows me the palms of his hands like telling me he has nothing to hide, but I know better than that. This doesn't sound that bad, though. He is my soulmate. I could get to actually know him and not his bad-boy persona.

"We could try that..." I say apprehensively biting my lower lip.

His eyes immediately dart to my lips but he doesn't say anything, instead, he extends his hand to me.

"Deal?" He flashes me a dazzling smile.

"Deal..." I take his hand. He shakes it lightly before pulling me toward him and hugging me. I try to free myself from his embrace but he doesn't budge.

"Just stay like this for a moment, please," he grumbles sniffing my neck.

I push him hard and he staggers back. He shoots me a hurt look before composing himself.

"Are you ok?" I ask as if nothing happened.

"Yes," he says between gritted teeth.

"If I'm going to be your friend, you need to respect boundaries." I put my hands on my hips and put on a serious face.

He glances at me before closing his eyes. When he opens them again, his gaze meets mine. "Yes, I'm sorry."

Wow, the spoiled kid apologized. I'll save this in my diary. Somehow, I manage to hold back a sarcastic comment.

"Let's try again." He walks up to me and extended his hand, which I took cautiously. "Pleased to have you as a friend." He beams, his cute dimples almost making him look innocent.

"Thank you," I mumble.