Chapter 20: Honesty

Anna

I open the door and as expected Kathe is there. She seems so much happier with the new clothes we bought. A bright smile adorns her face as she twirls and asks how she looks.

I smile widely. "You look beautiful, of course." I lead her to a clearing in the woods behind the apartment. The weather is on our side today with clear skies and a soft breeze. 

"Today we're going to test your stamina and resistance. The real training will begin on Wednesday. Where is your brother?"

Kathe looks lost in thought for a moment, probably mindlinking Matt. "He's almost here."

I nod. A few seconds later, a gray medium sized wolf jumps out of a bush. I repeat the same thing I told Kathe while she goes to the bushes to shift.

They'll run around the forest for a couple of hours and we'll meet here afterward. If they still can keep on going we'll run again. What I forget to mention is that once they say that they can't keep on running, we'll do defensive training. 

Rogues don't wait for you to rest before attacking you.

"Keep this training and everything I'm going to teach you a secret. In my pack, we have a special low howl to warn everyone that we must regroup. Once I shift I'll teach it to you. If you hear me, come back."

They both nod. I go behind a bush and shift. I walk out and howl lowly. They do the same.

I nod. That howl isn't actually the one my pack responds to. It's the one I use to detect traitors. This is a test I give to all my initiates. If I hear this howl in a battle coming from anyone but my students, it would mean that someone crossed me. 

We start running, each of us in a different direction. I rush toward the south side of the territory between the dead leaves and zigzagging between the trees. There is a beautiful and relaxing waterfall at the limit of the territory. 

After about one hour of running, the drizzling of the water onto the rocks welcomes me. I stop to enjoy the sweet taste of the cold water.

I'm about to take off again when I smell the scent the wind carried to me. I could barely make who was the owner of the scent before my instincts took over me. I had to go to him; It was not a matter of choice anymore. I dash until he is in front of me.

He didn't notice me until I tackled him. Like the touch of feathers, everywhere he touches tickles. In my awe, finally, everything makes sense. This is what I was waiting for so long. The moment is perfect but he shifted back, bringing me out of my daze.

I give the signal to Matt and Kathe and run back. Hopefully they can hear me. They are already at the meeting point when I get there. Instead of shifting back and explaining things, I attack them. They are both surprised but quickly recover. I am going soft on them but for a couple of omegas they stood ground pretty well. I let the battle extend for over an hour.

Kathe is the first one to give in; Her brother stands in front of her growling at me. He has good instincts. I jump on him and motioned to bite his neck. He whimpers; Kathe is hidden getting ready to attack. I let him go and let her take me 'by surprise.' We roll together, snarling and soon I am on top of her. 

I walk away keeping my eyes on both of them. They are breathing heavily and blood poured from their wounds. Kathe collapses again and Matt rushes to her side. I lower my head and wiggle my tail. Matt understands the signal and nods. I walk behind the bush to shift back.

I throw their clothes to them and turn around as they shift. "Good fight. You two are better than I expected."

Their wounds are steadily healing but Kathe still limps her way back to my place.