Chapter 17: He's Trying

A/N: Song "Sometimes," by The Academic.

Anna

I drive us to my apartment. Kathe sits on the back in Matt's arms. She isn't sobbing any longer and instead has fallen in a worrisome silence.

We soon arrive at my flat. I invite them in and tell them to sit on the dark brown couch. None of them is talking.

I walk to the kitchen and make some chamomile tea. That always helps me relax.  I place a cup for each of them on the center table and sit across them on the single sofa. 

Kathlyn is slumped against her brother staring at her teacup as if it holds the secrets of the universe and Matt is eyeing her with a slight frown. He's in a bad spot. If someone ever hurt my family like Chris had hurt Kathe, I'd kill them. But, given the circumstances, Matt could never beat Chris. Omegas aren't trained in physical combat in this pack.

I place my cup on the table and sigh loudly. Hopefully, I can help them. "I should begin with introductions, then." They both shift their attention to me, tilting their heads sideways in confusion. "Nice to meet you. I'm Beta Anna Amores from the Silver Fang Pack." 

I extend my hand toward Matt who timidly shakes it. He's quivering even though the temperature is perfect. My heart aches for him. I give him a reassuring smile and turn to Kathlyn who takes my hand in equally trembling hands.

I smile warmly at them again and give them a moment to digest the news. My pack is one of the strongest packs around. There's a tie between three packs for the title of the strongest pack. Gossips about the ruthlessness and cruelty of each pack are common but usually exaggerated.

Caleb's pack, the Wild Moon Pack, hadn't even entered the race. They sustain themselves by commerce and are constantly requesting protection from neighboring packs. Alpha Aaron King is a pacifist without a backbone. Hush. I shouldn't badmouth the pack where I'm living.

"The reason I invited you two here is to ask you to train with me." I tried to sound confident but I'm a little nervous about their response.

Kathe's gapes in disbelief and Matt shakes his head as if the sole idea of trying is ridiculous.

"But we're omegas. That's impossible," says Matt.

I don't let the smile slip from my face. "Matt, do you know why my pack is one of the strongest out there?"

He nods vigorously. "Sure. The Alpha family is legendary. The Alpha is always calm and calculating. He never rushes into combat but when he does he hits his enemies before they can even react and ends the battles with quick deliberate blows. His sister is powerful. She deals with rogues and is an expert getting information. She's the Beta and--" 

His eyebrows shoot up and his eyes widen in realization. His gaze locks with mine. My smile is now a wide grin. I scoot closer and prop my chin up on my right hand leaning in like a gossiping teenager. 

"Oh, is she?" I ask playfully.

Matt blushes and looks anywhere but into my eyes. I chuckle. Guys are so cute when they get all flustered.

"A-Are you serious?" asks Kathlyn.

I nod. "So, back to the point. The main reason my pack is one of the strongest is that everyone trains. Omegas train as much as their capacity allows them to. I worked personally with each werewolf at least once a month to track his or her progress. I want to train you two. If that is okay with you."