Chapter 8: I Guess This Is Number Seven

Anna

I'm walking down the trail with my fingers interlaced with Xander's when the cutest and fluffiest white little bunny jumps out of a bush and onto the trail. It glances at us and jumps into the opposite bushes.

"Let's catch it," I grin at Xander, and he groans as a response. I'll take it as a sure!

"Anna, no--" He can't finish talking since I pull him by the arm to the bush the bunny got in.

We walk between the bushes a couple of feet trying to find the bunny before I see it. Not the bunny, but the sight I'm now getting used to. My mate is making out with another bitch--a bitch who lost her t-shirt. 

Poor girl, she must be cold. I tense up and squeeze Xander's hand. He looks back and forth between my mate-to-be and me. I still can't pull my eyes away from Caleb.

This morning it felt like someone was kicking my heart after it was down, but now it's like someone is stomping on it. Xander grabs my chin and softly turns my head so I'm looking at him. His gentle green eyes are full of concern and his mouth is a straight line. 

His expression changes to a smug one. I just stare at him. Why the sudden change in his demeanor?

"I guess this is number seven? Unless I missed something." He chuckles.

"Yes, this is number seven. More than enough times if you ask me." I bit my lip as a bursting feeling fills in my stomach. I try to hold it in but as soon as Xander starts chuckling softly, I lose it.

"Your fate is a path full of shit," he says clutching his stomach.

I roar with laughter, my eyes getting wet. I shift my gaze to the teens in front of me.

"I apologize for interrupting." I giggle and do my best to straighten up. "By all means, get back at it."

"Let's go, princess," says Xander, releasing my hand and putting his arm around my shoulders. The second we turn around the tears of laughter in my eyes transform into tears of complete disappointment. I don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore.

I sob against Xander as he leads me to a bench surrounded by flowers of all colors and kinds. This place seems out of a fairy tale. It's a shame I'm too busy feeling sorry for myself to enjoy the sight. I don't even hear Larentia sob anymore, it's like in less than a month she has been let down so many times, that she doesn't even care to share her pain with me anymore.

"So, I'm guessing that one there was your so-called mate-to-be," says Xander.

I nod, biting my quivering lip.

"Is he the reason you were crying again when I called you this morning?"

I slowly shake my head no as my eyes fill with new tears. The tears of a person grieving the one that got away. Xander just stays in silence stroking my back in small circles.

"This morning I talked with my ex-fiance. We hadn't talked in three years."

I lower my head and stare at a small pink rose on the ground. It had been stepped on before, but it somehow still managed to look beautiful. However, it's actually dying right now. Am I like this flower? Only looking good on the outside but still being more dead than alive?

If it wasn't like this I bet Xander would have never talked to me in the first place. Suddenly, having this stranger rubbing my back makes me nauseous, but who am I kidding? Would I have even accepted drinking with him was he not so damn attractive? I'm just being a hypocrite here.

"What are you thinking, love? You have been making funny faces for a while now." I then notice that Xander has lowered his face and is now peeking at mine.