+ 14 +

Broken Kisses

Millie's POV:

"I was so excited, too. But of course my mother had to ground me." Sadie complained to us through the speaker phone of the car. It was finally Friday and I awaited the moment my head would hit the pillow. I was driving everyone to school since Sadie was suspended.

"We can do that after you're grounded." Grace said with a sigh. I looked over my shoulder to smile at her. I couldn't help but silently encourage Grace.

"We should do it when the state fair opens up, you know, like a road trip!" Maddie suggested with a smirk. I looked over at her.

"When is the state fair?" I asked.

"A week after Sadie will be ungrounded." Maddie said with pride. I nodded approvingly, eyes still focused on the road.

"Sounds good to me. It'll give my mom enough time to cool off." Sadie said before hanging up. I turned up the song on the radio, "Time After Time". We all sang along happily. 80's songs were the best.

A few minutes later we walked into the school, everyone going separate ways. I walked Grace to her class and then to mine.

Mr. Keery was currently debating on if it was yanny or laurel, with Gaten. "I hear laurel!" Gaten exclaimed to Mr. Keery.

"Listen to me, Gaten. No, listen to the audio. It is obviously yanny!" Mr. Keery retorted as he waved his hands violently through the air.

I smiled walking up to them. "Mr. Keery is right, Gaten. It's yanny." Gaten scoffed and crossed his arms. (btw, it's laurel)

"Yes, now sit down, I have a class to teach." Mr. Keery said while smirking. Gaten rolled his eyes and went to his seat. I followed him happily.

Gaten mumbled a few things under his breath and then looked up at Mr.Keery. "Ok class, if everyone will please give their attention to the board." We all looked at the board and the annoying sound of yanny rolled through my ears. The debate began.

—-

Ms. Dyer switched around our seats in math class. I now sat beside some kid named Levi. He had pretty blue eyes.

"Hi I'm Levi Miller, I don't believe we've met." He held out his hand and I shook it. Levi had an Australian accent, I liked it.

"Millie Brown." I smiled. He smiled back at me.

"Is that a British accent I detect?" He asked making me chuckle.

"I believe so." I hadn't even noticed us still holding hands. I awkwardly placed mine back in my lap. I looked over my shoulder at Finn. I expected he would be looking at me but he wasn't. His baseball cap was still pulled down and he just stared at the wall, into nothing.

Was he ignoring me again? No, Millie, not everything is about you.

"You alright?" I heard Levi ask. I looked at him blankly for a moment.

"Oh yeah, sorry." I laughed. He smiled at me.

"No problem. Hey, uh... when's your free period?" He asked.