-15-

America

Hand in hand we walked up to the king's office. I'm hoping that I'm making the right decision. I love Maxon, but is this the right job for me? Am I capable of being the princess? What if Illea hates me? Kriss was the chosen princess, the winner of the selection.

"Don't be nervous," Maxon whispered in my ears.

"Well I am, I decided an hour ago." I replied and my palms were starting to get sweaty. I took my hand out of Maxon's grip.

Queen Amberly knocked and a butler opened the door. Clarkson seemed rather annoyed, that he was being disturbed while he was working. When he Saw Amberly his eyes softened. I hid behind Maxon. He wanted me to marry Maxon, but I didn't take his offer the first time, so I'm kind of scared. If I cross a line, what won't he do to me. I have seen what he has done to his own son, just to keep him in line.

"My dear, what are you doing here." The king asked and kissed his queens hand. He then turned to his son. He wasn't as happy to see him as his wife. His face changed when he saw me behind Maxon. He smiled.

"Lady America, to what do I owe this pleasure?" He said and walked over to so I was facing him. I breathed in and out. Nothing to fear, he is not going to hurt me.

"I was wondering if I could stay?" I said trying to keep my voice from trembling. I can't show any sort of weakness. If I'm going to live under his roof, I must stay strong and be confident.

"You most certainly can. I'm so happy to invite you into our family." He sang cheerfully. Is there something going on? I have never seen the king this happy about anything. Clarkson whispered something in Amberly's ears and she giggled and then she nodded.

Maxon led us out so his parents could speak alone. He took me to the top floor where his room is. I remember the first time he took me to his room. He had pictures of all of us girls during the selection. He told me he loves to take pictures and he would be a five if he wasn't the prince.

"This will your room." He said and led to the door that connected his suite to the princess suite. The princess suite. I can't help myself but to think that this used to be Kriss' room. Her things are still in here, like she just left today.

"This was Kriss' room?"

"Yes, now this will be yours. You also have to pick out maids." He said and we went into the suite. Maxon looked around like it's the first time he has seen this. This was not what I expected. The room was very clean; it doesn't look like it's been lived in.

"This feels weird." I said and looked around this room. I have seen the princess suite before, but that time it was empty.

"I know, this is a big step for you." Maxon said.

"Are you ever going to propose or do you just want me to marry you?" I smirked at him. I wondered why he hasn't asked. I mean he has always been so romantic and good at making me feel like a lady. He must have thought about this before. During the selection, he said, that he should've proposed during the Halloween party. His face turned red, but then smiled. He got on one knee.

"America Singer, I look at you and I'm home. I see nothing worse than be without you because with you my soul feels complete, you are the other half of me and I love you, more than anything. I would take a bullet for you a thousand times, just so you can stay happy. You are my home no matter where that is. Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" He asked.

I'm crying uncontrollably. This is so beautiful and romantic. He makes me feel happy and loved. Anthony proposed on the phone while I was at the reunion. This might be my happy ever after. Now I just can't find my voice.

Maxon did hurt me and break my heart, but it was his to break anyways. I stared at him, he is still on his knees. He started to doubt himself. I want to say yes, but I'm not able to find my voice. I got on my knees to get on the same level as him.

"America, I know I've hurt you, but please..." He said and paused. I shook my head.

"Maxon, You broke my heart, break my heart a thousand times, it will always be yours to break." I said when I finally found my voice again. Maxon slid the ring on my ring finger. It was gold, with our birthstones. It's beautiful. Maxon reached and kissed my lips.

"I've slept with this ring since you left after the selection," he said and smiled.

"I love you Maxon Calix Schreave."

"I love you too, America Singer."