-21-

America

We followed them inside to one of the four buildings. What did he mean that, we must be confused? I thought Maxon would know the royals of Denmark. I thought that they knew each other because Illea and Swendway are allies.

"Maxon What is going on?" I asked when they weren't paying attention. Maxon shrugged. We continued to walk. Their palace is more old-fashioned than ours. The paintings and the carved statues.

"My wife is in here, she has been waiting for you," The king said and the butler opened the door for us. When we stepped inside I couldn't believe who I saw. The one and only Celeste. Is she the queen of Denmark?

"Celeste?" Maxon whispered not believing what he saw. I now know that its not something I imagined in my head. Celeste is there, in her own flesh and blood.

"America and Maxon, I'm so happy to see you." She said and walked over to greet us. Celeste excused the butler and the other so we could be alone.

"Its nice to see you too," I said to her when she embraced me. I have a thousand questions running through my head right now. She participated in the selection in less than 6 months ago, She was complaining about her marriage and pregnancy at the reunion.

"Celeste care to explain?" Maxon asked clearly annoyed with all the surprises we've had during this trip. He was hiding it very well compared to me. My face was an open book.

"Sure, I'm the Queen of Denmark." Celeste said like it was simplicity it self. She straightened her dress and took her seat again. We followed her to her desk and sat down.

"Please elaborate the answer?"

"Well, I entered the selection, to get to know the royal family and Illea. We wanted an alliance with Illea. My husband and I thought of the selection as a perfect opportunity.

Maxon I'm sorry if you're hurt, but obviously we weren't meant to be. I'm married and you love America. We wanted to see what you'll do if I acted the way I acted" She paused having a inner debate, should she tell us more?

"There are a lot of things going on in Denmark right now, but that's besides the point. We are so happy to have you here, but I need a favor."

Maxon and I looked at each other.

"What exactly are you asking for."

Celeste looked at me and stood up. She trailed back and fourth before looking at me. She wrinkled her forehead and concentrated.

"My brother in-law is getting married. The problem is that the girl is I don't know how to put it.... power hungry." She laughed and shook her head. That was the behaviour we had to deal with during the selection. Now we know that it was all an act.

"How are we fitting in this situation?" I asked still confused. We live so far away from each other, that I don't think we can do anything.

"The bride is an illean citizen." Celeste sighed. "You also know her very well," She said and looked at Maxon. Maxon seems to pick up on the clue, but I still hadn't figured it out.

"What do you want us to do?" Maxon asked.

"I want you to talk to her."

"We didn't quite end things on good terms." Maxon said.

Kriss. Kriss is marrying the prince of Denmark? She went from princess of Illea to princess of Denmark. Wow she is power hungry!

Maxon told me about how they split up. She refused and his father had to force her out of the palace. She turned out to be a quite horrible person, her true self appeared after the wedding.

"I would appreciate if you gave it a try, she has this friend Zac, that helps her. I heard that he is a northern rebel as well." Celeste said

"A rebel?" Maxon asked and his eyes were wide.

I never told Maxon about Kriss' little secret. She was or is a Northern rebel. I found her little tattoo on her neck, and found out her true intentions. The rebels had planned to have a girl to win the crown and she did.

"She is." I confirmed when Maxon started to doubt Celeste. I can feel that Maxon is having a hard time believe Celeste.

"You knew she was a rebel?"

"Kind of." I whispered.

Maxon was mad now. It was like knives were coming out of his eyes. He was trying to control his breathing and his anger.

"Why didn't you tell me!?"

"I thought you wanted her, I wanted you to be happy."

"Well you were wrong!!! If you wanted me to be happy, you would have married me and not cheat." He raised his voice. I was startled by his sudden out burst.

I could feel the tears threatening to come out. I tried desperately to keep my feelings in touch.

"You told me you would be happy when I was gone, I know it was wrong to cheat, but we actually cut things off long time ago. You just walked in during the wrong time, but if you're hanging onto that forever maybe I should've stayed away." I said and stormed out of the room and broke down crying in the bathroom.