{2}

"Dinah, can you come downstairs with me? For a quick talk?" Sinu called over to the Polynesian.

Dinah simply nodded, and followed the older woman downstairs, leaving Camila behind.

What was it that her Mami had to talk about with Dinah? Was it so important that she hadn't even asked Camila to join them?

You're so dumb, Karla. Camila sighed to herself. Why would you even want to know, anyway? Mami is probably going to give her a life lesson on drugs and alcohol or something.

Yet still, Camila found herself going downstairs to try and eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Look," Sinu had began to say. Camila knew she had just made it in time to listen to the good stuff.

"You're mom and dad were not very good people, were they?"

Camila could hear Dinah's uneasiness. She could sense that the Polynesian was uncomfortable already.

"No, I remember them being nice people." Dinah replied. "They just didn't know that they created a fucking monster."

Yikes. Camila's eyes widened. Touchy subject, I guess?

"No, no, hon. This has been hard on you, I can tell. You are not a monster, you've just had a hard time getting over what happened. I know that you're struggling to succeed in school, and I know the unsettling amount of referrals and detentions you've had. That's all just a result of you hurting, dear." Sinu explained to the taller girl.

Camila had no idea what the two were talking about. And she really did want to know where Dinah's parents were.

And why Dinah had been left alone.

"Whatever. And I'm not hurting." Dinah spat. Camila could hear the Polynesian storm out of the kitchen, and head for the stairs.

Camila hid herself, making sure she was out of sight, then ran up the stairs after Dinah.

The door to their bedroom closed with a huge slam, causing Camila to flinch.

The Cuban-Mexican reached for the doorknob, turned it slightly, and then paused.

You don't have to talk to her, Camila.

Sometimes, you're just too nice to people who don't deserve it.

Besides, she took away your privacy and now you're forced to live with her.

"But I want to know the truth.." Camila whispered to herself. "And Lord only knows what goes through that girl's mind."

She opened the door to see the last thing she had ever expected.

Dinah was curled up into a ball, and sobbing in the middle of the room. She wiped away her tears vigorously as soon as she spotted Camila.

"Shit. What do you even want?"

The words came out of the crying girl's mouth like bullets.

"Where are your parents?" Camila blurted, and soon covered her mouth after realizing she had spoken without thinking.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"They left me." Dinah answered.

Camila raised an eyebrow. "Left you? As in?"

"I don't really wanna talk about it!" the Polynesian spat back.

"How do you expect things to get better if you're not willing to let your feelings go?" Camila replied in frustration. "Just tell me what happened, Hansen, I'm all ears."