{20}

A/N: thanks for 1k reads!

"What?" Dinah felt her heart drop. "What do you mean? I can't.. I can't just leave my family!"

Aunt Leilani wasn't taking any shit. "Oh god, your family Dinah Jane? Listen here and face reality. You belong with me, and the rest of your relatives. We are your actual family. They've done a good job keeping you safe or whatever you wanna call it, but this ends here. You're not 18 yet, and so as one of your guardians it's my right to claim legal custody of you without your consent."

"That's a load of bull!" Dinah snapped back.

"Go on and say your goodbyes." Aunt Leilani dismissed her niece's comment completely.

Dinah huffed in frustration. There was no way out for her.

The Polynesian wearily walked back inside the house, and noticed right away that Sinu, Sofi, and Camila were standing by the front door, and possibly even heard everything.

"Dinah, what's happening?" Camila's voice seemed to crack a bit.

Dinah couldn't look her in the eye. If her girlfriend was crying, there was no way she'd be able to leave. And that would make matters worse, because she'd have to anyway.

"Mila, I'm so sorry, I.." Dinah replied in almost a whisper. "I-I.. I have to go with my aunt. She lives in another state, almost across the country."

Camila broke entirely at that point. "What..?" she breathed.

"DJ!" Sofi yelled, as if she were scolding the older girl. "I thought you said you'd never leave us again!"

Sinu stepped in. "Now now girls, I know this is bad for all of us, but Dinah needs to go. Her aunt has legal custody of her over us, and quite frankly.. I never fully went through with adoption. She.. she has to leave."

Dinah smiled sympathetically at Sinu, who gave her a hug in return.

"I don't know what you'll decide, but just know that we're here for you when you do turn eighteen. So please, if you will, come back to us." Sinu mumbled.

Dinah nodded. "I will, I promise."

The Polynesian then ran upstairs to go get her things, which took her almost fifteen long minutes in itself.

She ran back down with her belongings, and proceeded to say goodbye to Sofi and Camila.

Sofi started balling right then and there. "D-DJ.. please don't go.."

Dinah engulfed the smaller girl into an enormous hug. "I have to, babygirl. I promised I'll be back though, didn't I? Don't be too evil without me, by the way. And be good to your sister even when she gets on your nerves, she's gonna need you to be there for her a lot while I'm gone."

Sofi nodded.

"Good, and I'll bring you back loads of new dolls for your playhouse if you can promise me that." Dinah smirked down at her.

"I promise." Sofi assured her, looking determined.

She then finally turned to Camila.

"C'mon Sofi, lets give them a few minutes." Sinu led her youngest daughter out of the room.

As soon as they did, Dinah started to sob slightly.

"Baby.." she cooed. "I-I.. I don't know what to do.." she could feel herself becoming just as undone as Camila.

"I don't wanna leave you."

Camila immediately hugged her tightly. "I know, I know. I don't want you to leave either. I don't know if I can handle this, Dinah."

"I need you here, not with your lame aunt." she pouted.

Dinah laughed a bit, and wiped away a few small tears. "Yeah.."

She then glanced down at Camila's lips, then back up into the Cuban-Mexican's eyes.

Without any other words, they both began making out. Instead of telling each other how they felt, they might as well show it instead.

Dinah stroked Camila's cheek with her thumb as she kissed her, and Camila gripped the taller girl's waist in return.

"I don't know how long I can live without this." Camila's lips quivered, and she got a bit choked up.

Dinah proceeded to leave butterfly kisses all over Camila's cheeks and around her nose. She moved down to her neck, and back up again.

"We'll both be sharing the same pain, at least. If it makes you feel better." Dinah mumbled against her girlfriend's neck.

"You should go, your aunt is probably getting a bit pissed." Camila smiled sadly.

Dinah sighed. "Yeah, I guess."

They both kissed again for a good twenty seconds, then parted.

"You're gonna miss my birthday too." Camila added with a frown. "That's gonna suck for me, knowing that I'm turning eighteen first and you won't be here to celebrate.

Dinah grinned at this, and turned around to open the front door.

Just as Dinah opened the door, she turned back around.

"Hey," she spoke up once more.

Camila cocked an eyebrow, signaling for her to continue.

"Wait for me." Dinah smiled widely. "It's only fair."

"Remember when I had to wait for you back when you were unconscious in the hospital? Now it's your turn to do the same for me." she continued. "When you go out into the world and do all the great things you will this year, I want you to think about doing them with me."

"Because I'll be longing and wishing I could've done it all with you."

Camila sighed. "As long as you promise you'll stay loyal, and that you'll only ever think about me. And I swear I'll always only think about those things."

Dinah smirked. "Don't worry, we don't need any promises for that."

"Just know that we're connected. No matter where we may be in this god forsaken planet, no matter who we're with on this corrupt and terrifying world, we're always connected. Always and forever, Mila."

Camila let her sobs escape. "Stop Dinah, I can't take anymore.. you cheesy stupid little idiot-"

Dinah gave her one last lingering hug, in which Camila gladly returned.

"I love you, so so much." Camila cried.

"And I love you even more now, just cuz you called me a cheesy idiot." Dinah mused.

They then kissed each other one last time.

And with that, Dinah reluctantly walked out.

"Just one year without each other, we can do this." she yelled back at Camila.

"Just one year." Camila repeated.

"Call me!" Dinah yelled once more, attempting to flirt. She made a call gesture with her hand, and winked at her girlfriend.

Just as she kept walking further away, she could hear Camila's undeniable laughter.

Aunt Leilani led Dinah to her car. They both got in and settled down.

"Who was that?" Aunt Leilani asked.

Dinah grinned a bit. "Someone who's finally gonna wait for me."

~

A/N: okay sooo... I was actually planning on ending the story at this part, but realized it needs to go on a bit more. I NEED TO HAVE THEM REUNITE LMAO.

I'm gonna write an epilogue, and before that make this go another 5 chapters or so.