ONE| Aboard

The scent of salt and fish clouded your nostrils as you inhaled the air. It overpowered your senses, but you were honestly thankful. It was distracting in a time such as this.

You did your best to remain calm and not break down as you saw all your things being hauled onto the small excuse of a boat docked next to the pier. It rocked back and forth underneath the feet of the workers who so carelessly tossed your luggage.

This was really happening. You were being sent off and, just like the luggage, tossed to someone as if a gift. Freedom would be nonexistent from this point on.

"I'm really sorry honey, but you knew this was coming eventually. You don't have to worry, Junho will take good care of you." You heard your dad's voice say from behind. His words seemed to go through you. You had heard them all before. 

You said nothing as your dad sighed and walked away to talk to the owner of the boat.

"Here is the location. My future son in law owns a private island and wants to marry her on it. The wedding is in a week but he wants to meet her before hand," He spoke to the older man who carefully took the coordinates from your father.

A single tear rolled down your cheek. How could you marry a stranger? You had always valued love over anything else in your life yet what you were being forced to do now interrupted such values and tore apart your dreams. 

A week? Was that really all you had left? And this boat ride, which acted in a way as both a horror and a last taste of freedom, was your way in. You dreaded it entirely, yet, at the same time, wanted to cherish it as your last few moments with yourself before meeting the rich businessman who had practically bought you from your father.

Even though he was the one who had set it up, you still couldn't blame him. Your father's poor company was suffering and on the verge of collapse. It had been for a long time, and now the only way for him to revive it and make money to support your family was through this marriage.

You held a lot in your hands in this sense. And so you agreed, but that didn't mean your heart was any less broken.

You had to reassure yourself that it wasn't all over. He could be a wonderful husband who loved you entirely. But you didn't know that, and even if he wasn't, it wouldn't matter. You would marry him regardless.

"(Y/N)?" Came your father's voice. It now sounded full of emotion, so you turned to face him. He quickly embraced you, and you hugged him back. "I can never thank you enough. I love you honey, have fun and I'll see you in a week at the wedding."

You lightly gripped his shirt and allowed your tear to fall onto his shoulder. You would miss him and the rest of your family so much. 

"Good bye," You whispered, causing him to clutch you tighter. You had to follow through with the marriage. Your father kissed your head before allowing you to slip out of his grasp.

"Follow me miss, watch your step," You heard one of the men who had hauled your luggage speak while grabbing your arm to lead you onto the boat. It was all a blur. All you could see was your father's regret filled face as he too shed a tear at watching you leave.

The boat was small and had only a hooded space in which the Captain could steer and a small space below deck with a bathroom, storage room, and bedroom. All your luggage had already been stored below. 

This was really it, you were leaving the land behind. The small waves rocked the boat gently back and forth and you felt the motion beneath your feet. You would be spending a full 24 hours on this tiny boat? At this point, you didn't care. It was 24 less hours than you could have not had if Junho hadn't insisted on getting married at his luxurious island mansion.

You immediately walked to the front of the boat to peer over the railing to look back on land. You saw your father talking to the older gentleman who owned the boat and shook his hand. The owner looked nice enough, so you could at least look forward to that.

Your thoughts were cut short upon the sudden abrupt moving of the boat that seemed to be taking off on it's own. You quickly gripped the railing as it startled you. Why was it moving when the captain was on land? Your dad simply waved from the shore as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

Looking around in panic, you carefully ran back to the captain's pit to see if there was anyone actually steering the boat. To your surprise, there was.

He was very quiet to the point where you hadn't even noticed his presence or the fact that he had been on the small boat in the first place.

He seemed to be close to your age give or take a few years and had headphones on so loud that the sound leaked through. You stared at him in surprise as he emotionlessly operated the boat as if he had done it many times and ignored your presence.

When you continued to stare at him and didn't seem to be leaving, he sighed in irritation and pulled off his headphones.

"Do you need something?" He asked in a strained voice, as if it killed him to ask.

"Who are you?" You questioned, ignoring his bluntness due to the fact that you were still confused by the sight of him with the boat's wheel in hand.

He looked you up in down in a manner that made you uncomfortable. He seemed to be judging you harshly with his cold gaze which made you shuffle in anxiety.

"Oh I see. You expected my dad?" He asked, arching his eyebrow slightly, "Nope. You see, it may be his boat, but he has better things to do than haul some rich girl to her castle. That honor goes to me." He bowed to you sarcastically in introduction, pretending to be polite but his voice clearly seething with sarcasm. "My name is Min Yoongi, and I'll be your captain."