TWENTY-TWO| Rescue

Your throat was dry as shocked hesitance coursed through your aching body for what felt like eternity and the blades of the helicopter felt like a distant dream.

Ash had made breathing difficult, but even if it hadn't been present, you weren't sure if you would have been able to breathe right then. It seemed as if Yoongi felt similarly as he remained unmoving while the blades scattered a beating noise through the sky. 

Hadn't this been what the two of you had been praying for for months? Why couldn't either of you move?

You could blame it on exhaustion, but it was truly the ever constant feeling of disbelief flooding your mind as you had to be sure you were hallucinating. But Yoongi saw and heard it too, which meant...

It was real. 

At that point, it was a miracle your legs worked at all. The sudden serge of energy your body had right then was enough to fight past the pain and exhaustion however as you pushed yourself to your feet and managed to release a whimper as you raised your arms to the sky.

You felt as if your limbs and mind were moving through a thick syrup, but you did what only came naturally. You jumped; waving your arms and trying to keep consciousness through your pain and exhaustion as you tried to capture the attention of whoever was flying the piece of machinery. 

In the back of your spinning mind, you heard the thunk of your journal hit the ground and the fearful screeching of Jeb who was unfamiliar with helicopters. All you knew right then was that you had to get the attention of the driver.

You had to save yourself and Min Yoongi.

There was nothing left on the island. Your home was destroyed. You would die there if you stayed, and it seemed as if right then the two of you were given one final chance.

It was a chance you knew you couldn't pass up, so although disoriented and unsure, you put all you had left into your frantic efforts. This was it. If you failed right then, you knew you and Yoongi would die.

"H-Help!" You wished you could scream, but your voice was shaky and barely heard which deemed it useless. 

Another jump. Another wave. Anything. But that was when you felt a hand firmly grip your arm, and you turned to see fearful eyes peering at you as Min Yoongi halted your action and captured your attention. Ash was littered in the strands of his hair and a small cut graced his paled cheeks.

He didn't say anything, but he didn't have to. You had been on the island with him for so long that you could read him as easily as words on a page. His gaze was conflicted, scared, and unsure. He wasn't helping you wave down the helicopter, and your heart dropped when you realized why.

"Yoongi," you begged, attempting to force emotion into your drained words as your eyes fearfully flitted to the helicopter that was threateningly reaching a point where it might pass you. For a moment, he said nothing and simply breathed heavily as his slightly maddened and conflicted eyes danced like a flickering flame.

"We don't have to go," he finally managed to say. His voice was heart breaking, and you knew he didn't really mean it, but you understood what he was trying to portray. "We can still make it."

"No. No we can't Yoongi," you firmly but shakily spoke, trying to put reason into him while doing the same for yourself. You were still trying to overcome the truth in the fact that your island was gone. It had been a home, a dream, an adventure, and a fantasy. Although scary, the two of you had managed to make it familiar. You made it into a home. But now, the fantasy was over. Your home was gone, and it was now a matter of life and death. "If we stay here we'll die."