Epilogue

Here is the very last chapter of His Dead Mate. I'm sad to see that it's over, but I'm glad to see how it ended. You guys are the best readers that anyone could ever ask for. I love you guys so much! <3 And even though I can't answer all your messages, just know that I read them and I'm so honored to call you guys Faithful Shifters.

Also, thank you for all the birthday wishes. I saw all your guys' comments and messages and it really made my day. Thank you <3

--------------------------------------------------

Kasey

I stood there in silence as we watched Max's body burn. I had so many emotions running through me. I've never felt this way before. I felt anger, sadness, misery, betrayal flowing through my veins. My eyes narrowed and I felt my fists clench as I watched the flames dance around his body. I can't believe this happened.

Kenword sniffed and rubbed my shoulder.

"It should have been me." I mumbled as I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Kasey." Kenword said sadly. "You can't think like that."

"I could have been quicker." I mumbled to myself. "I could have stopped Max. It's all my fault."

"You couldn't have known that was going to happen Kasey."

I shook my head. "I should have attacked Lucifer. Not him."

Kenword went to go say something, but I shrugged his hand off my shoulder.

"Let her go." I heard Alvar quietly say as I walked away.

I could hear the crackle of the fire get quieter and quieter as I continued to walk. Once I was out of the yard, I broke down.

Max's death kept replaying over and over in my head. He died protecting us all. I know that was his job, but he shouldn't have done that. I should have been the one to go. Lucifer wanted me, not him. I wish I could go back in time and stop Max from doing what he did.

It wasn't his time just yet. He still had so much left to do. He wanted to see his wife and kid one last time just to see how they were doing. But now he'll never get that chance.

I remember all the pranks that Kenword and I would pull on Max. I giggled at the thought. Kenword always told Max that he needed to smile more and not take his duties and life so seriously. Max would just roll his eyes and say that he does smile, and then would proceed to tell the worst dad joke known to mankind. He would start to make himself laugh whereas Kenword and I would look at each other and give an awkward laugh. Max thought he was one of the funniest people he knew.

More and more memories flooded my mind. The time when Max was there to teach me how to fly and of course my very first day as an angel.

*Flashback*

Everything was dark as I looked around.

"What is going on?" I said to myself.

It was like a switch went off as I started to move. I screamed as I started to spiral down to the ground. My eyes went wide as it started to get closer.

Yep. I'm gonna die.

I shut my eyes waiting for the impact, but it never came.

I slowly opened one eye and looked around. Everything was white. I looked down and both of my eyes shot open.

"Am I sitting on a cloud?" I exclaimed as I jumped off of it.

"Yes you are dear." I heard a giggle.