chapter 1

Let's just skip the prologue nonsense and just get right into it.

"Please fasten your seatbelts and prepare for landing. And welcome to California."

After the pilot finishes his announcement, I hear the excited chatter and the click of seatbelts locking from the other passengers. I glance out the small circular window of the airplane and look down on the new state I'm about to live in. California will be the 5th state I've moved to during my 3 years of being in the foster system. I've been an orphan for 6 years, those first two years and were the worst years of my life. Along with the last couple months.

After I got my luggage, I looked around for the person who was supposed to take me to my new foster home. I noticed a tall man who looked to be in his mid-forties, holding a sign with my name on it. I picked up my small suitcase and walked over to the man. When I was about two feet on front of him he glanced down at me.

"Are you Miss Kamryn Ash?"

I looked down at my old vans, uncomfortable with someone looking at me.

"Yes, that's me." I responded. I glanced back up at the old mans kind eyes as he took my luggage from me.

"Follow me to the car. Mrs and Mr. Bennett can't wait to meet you." He said as he turned around and started walking in the direction of the exit I suppose. I move my legs quickly to catch up with his long strides.

Mrs and Mr. Bennett must be my new foster parents. We walked up to white car, and I don't know what type of car since I know close to nothing about cars. The old man who has yet to tell me his name opened up the passenger door for me and shut the door softly once I was settled in. After he put my bag in the trunk he got in and started the car.

After a good ten minutes of silence in the car, I gathered up the courage to speak.

"What are they like?" I asked so quietly, I didn't even think he heard me.

"They're a nice couple. They have a son, same age as you I believe. Eighteen correct?" He briefly looked at me before turning his head to look back at the road.

I shook my head. "Seventeen, my birthday is later in the year."

Son? They have a son? Will he be rude? He'll probably make fun of me. They seem like wealthy people since they sent this guy to pick me up from the airport. I don't belong with rich, fancy people.

"You never told me your name." I say remembering I still don't know this mans name.

"Bo Waters." He said. From the corner of my eye, I could see him softly smiling.

I nodded my head and leaned back in the leather seat, closing my eyes.

************************************

"Miss Ash, we're here." I hear Bo call out gently.

I slowly blink open my eyes and see that Bo opened my door to wake me up, my suitcase standing next to him. I carefully got out of the vehicle and looked up on the house before me.