Chapter 1

Keys

Ears filled with empty voices and unnecessary chaos. These halls smell of death and dust with the hint of pubescent body odor; the unforgettable sent of high school. I find myself trading my books at my locker then making my way down the congested hallway to my last class. The only class I can tolerate, music. My wonderfully talented teacher encourages me greatly and genuinely is awed by my natural love for the art.

The pile in my arms suddenly plummets to the ground after colliding with a spiteful slap. Luke. Oh god, he is Satan in disguise. This tortured has existed since kindergarten; hate driven by jealousy, forever envious of my skill. This boy is crypt keeper in this crumbling building. Being the only son of the principal he could get away with murder. He has access to every corner every room. He famous for the haunting sound of colliding keys. When he walks the halls he swings a clutters of keys around his thumb in a circular motion, like a war chime. That rhythm is a reminder that he is above us all and has access to all. In the palm of his hand he contains the power to alter every every room, ever file, everything. It's a great risk to even make eye contact with the boy. He is everyones greatest fear.

A familiar face catches my struggles and approaches me.

"Luke! Come here!" Mr. Min orders in a grimace tone while eyeing the slender boy.

Luke returns with a skip to his steps ready to finally inform the new teacher of his social status.

"Detention."

Luke scoffs and grins. "I'm sorry but I don't think you know who I am." He swings his keys and cocks his eyebrow.

"I know exactly who you are. Detention."
The expression on Luke's face drops and turns a furious shade of red.

"B-but" Luke stutters.

"But what? You can't handle detention butt fuck?" I say. Mr. Min turns his head to the side to hide his laughter.

"C'mon Amanda, class is about to start." We part and I follow Mr. Min to his music room.

I pass through the open door of the classroom and claim my seat. Then unlock my violin box and prepare the strings. Mr. Min presents himself at the front of the room to greet the class with a cold smile.

He plants himself on the bench and begins guiding us with his grand piano.  His eyes study me as he plays his piece; they run from my lips all the way down to my toes. We meet eyes sending the shock through my body, draining the colour from my face. His guilty gaze returns to his fingers as he nibbles on his lips. I feel a sense of pleasure and gilt at the same time.

We practice the song a few times; the guilt slowly draining from my veins. His fingers part from the keys and his lips part.

"Okay, class. Here's a question. Very easy question. Who wrote the song we just played?"

He scans the room only to see blank expressions and avoided gazes. He turns his eyes to me in hopes for an answer, knowing that I am the only person in the room who actually cares enough to pay attention.

I let out a sigh and speak "Chopin Nocturne in C -sharp minor."

He smirks.

"Thank you, Amanda. Okay, that was it guys, you can fuck around on your phones now. I'm done teaching for the day."

Crowds of voices and laughter fill the room as everyone begins to relax. I mummify my wood violin in its temple then a tall shadow umbrellas the light. I snap my head up to see Mr. Min.

"Amanda do you plan on studying music past post-secondary?"

"Yes, I do sir."

He nods his head, satisfied with my answer. "What exactly do you plan to pursue?"