Chapter 21

Watch Dog

RED's Assistant POV

The piece in my ear buzzes, his growling voice follows puncturing my eardrums. "Locator 411. Is subject 220 in position?"

I stutter while my mind takes ages to frantically process the information. "C-Commander AAD subject is in precise location as requested," I respond.

I can't help but wonder how a man could be so stoic at a time like this. The odds are not in our favor. This establishment is not capable of harboring this type of mission. We are breaking into one of the most lethal houses in all of Korea; I was surprised that we were even able to obtain cameras in the facility.

I run my hands through my hair and take a deep breathe feeling all of the anxiety in me fill my lungs. I find it difficult to breathe so I sneak a sip of chilling water. Then my eyes return to the abundance of monitors. These headquarters are filled with screens spying on every inch of the mansion; inside and out. My focus wonders to the man they call RED, feared by all. He sits in his car, behind the tinted windows with a smoke between his lips, waiting. Waiting for 12:01. The minute we strike.

His posture is rather odd for a moment such as this. His broad shoulders hang and his feet lay elevated on the dashboard. I know he must act naturally to the public but he seems to not have a care one the world. Does he not understand what these people are capable of?

Buzz

"Locator 411. Time?" He mutters, pulling me out of my head.

"Commander AAD. 11:57."

"Where is the subject 220?"

"She is in Sir Yoongi's room commander," I respond.

"Alone?"

"Yes."

Once the word slips from my tongue I hear a sigh of relief escape him.

I reevaluate all of my cameras. Everything is clean until I spot a pair of feet climbing up the stairs. I hold my breath to find it is Yoongi on his way to meet Amanda.

"Commander we have an emergency! Yoongi is coming."

"Alert Amanda. Set the alarm on her watch so she knows that's time to go. The ladder is set at the window. She will meet me outside in approximately 2 minutes.'

"Done! She has been notified."

"Turn on the live audio recording so we can hear." He orders

I do as she says and we both watch impatiently.

The light on her wrist screeches. I watch the color drain from her face at the realization that it's time. I can see it in her eyes. She is second-guessing herself. Her mind is not made. She closes her eyes and takes a long deep breath; then makes her way to the window and opens it hesitantly. She gazes at her escape route and pulls more air into her lungs.

I glare at Yoongi on the other screen only 20 feet away from the door.

In my mind, I beg her to start climbing. I feel my veins swell and the sweat spew from my pores.

She closes her eyes and swings one leg over the window sill. Her first step toward freedom. Her  legs tremble under her. Her face is a pale shade of snow and the tears gather in her eyes. Then her other foot. She stares back at the room that she hopes she will never see again and takes in the fresh air of the spring. Then the door bursts open, and I feel my heart fall out of my chest. It's over. All has failed.