Chapter 12

Little Gidae

Living with Jin for the past three days isn't as horrendous as I predicted. He is mostly polite and is doing as he said he would; if I would cooperate, there would be no trouble. He's been bringing me random expensive gifts as my reward for good behavior. I like it but it does make me somewhat uncomfortable. 

Yesterday when I went into our room there was a little box with a pink bow on the bed. The card said, "to keep you some company." Inside was the most precious little puppy. I may hate Jin but I love the things he brings. I and my baby lab have been inseparable ever since. I'm way too comfortable here. I need to keep reminding myself of the heartbreak of being ripped away from my old life and not being allowed to see the ones I love. I allow myself to love the place but I must continue to hate Kim SeokJin. Even though Jin has planted doubts in my head, I still continue to fall into a fantasy of being in Yoongi's arms once again. He wasn't perfect but he knew what was best for me, even when I didn't

The sweet smell of homemade brownies kiss my nose hairs. The oven buzzer cries and I slide off of the couched stroll into the empty kitchen with my happy puppy following my feet. The guards scattered throughout the house keep their eyes glued on me. Every step I take never goes unnoticed. I fiddle with the oven, then leave the brownies to cool. The next 20 minutes I spend cleaning up my mess. I slightly regret making these. I did so out of boredom but the clean up is not worth it.

Then a sudden voice breaks behind me, "She cooks?"Jin takes a bite out the brownies. "Wow, you really play the role of trophy wife well." He says sarcastically.

"Hello to you too," I say annoyed.

He ignores my comment and attempts to make conversation. This is strange manner for him. He hasn't talked to me much since the day I arrived; he's been gone on business for the past few days. This house was all to me for a while. "So did you choose a name for the dog yet?"

"Not yet," I respond with my back facing him as I sort dishes.

The room grows quiet. I am flustered with the suspense. I wonder what news Jin has come to deliver; I am positive that something is up.  He clears his throat. "Since you have been so good, I have a reward." He nods to his guard, sending a silent command. The guard leaves the room and returns with two boys by his side, Taehyung, and Jungkook. Their eyes are set on the floor and long frowns hang from their faces.

I gasp, "Kookie? Tae?" Their heads pop up at the sound of my voice. The frowns flower into smiles; we rush to a warm group hug.

"You're okay!" Says Taehyung.

"We were so worried that something happened to you!"Jungkook cries while squeezing me even tighter. He glances at Jin in disgust, then breaks the hug. "He didn't do anything to you, did he? Because I swear to god if he did I'll-"

Jin interrupts,"I'm right here, Kook."

Jin's voice pulls us out of fantasy and back to reality. We all contemplate Jin's reasoning for allowing us to rekindle.

Jin speaks. "I'm letting you say goodbye, Amanda. You will never be seeing these two again. I thought that I'd at least let you say goodbye before I let them go." Jin stands tall, his arms crossed at his chest, waiting impatiently.

I choke on my breathe when Jin told me that this is the last time that I will ever see my two best friends. Tears gather in my eyes as I stare into their warm faces. The fluffy mangled chocolate locks of Jungkook's hair are wild like when he was a small child. We all take a moment of silence to photograph each other in our memories.

"You better not cry stringhumper," Jungkook says jokingly.
We all let out a small painful chuckle, thinking about the old times that will never be ever again.

The emotion becomes strong. Taehyung's puffy swollen eyes bleed tears and Jungkook sniffles sobs. They pull me into their embrace and mumble through their whimpers, "We love you so much, this won't be the last time we meet. We will get you out of here. We promise. We have hope."

In my heart, I believe every word that rolled off their tongues, but my mind is not blind to hope. I know that I will never taste the sweetness of freedom ever again.

"Don't make promises you can't keep. I love you both too."

They squeeze me even tighter, forcing air out of me like a whoopi-cushion.

The tears in my eyes finally break the barrier and plummet down my cheeks. "I'm so sorry to get you two into this," I mumble.

They rub my back and shoosh me. "Here," Jungkook says. In his palm, the earpiece lies. "So we can still hand and talk to each other."

The same earpiece he used when we were just small children, smuggling our joy after dark, hoping to be emerged in each other's voices, while still miles apart. The same earpiece he used when my heart bled for the death of my dog. The same earpiece he used when we were on the run.

I take it in my hand and blanket it with my tiny fingers, sucking in all of its energy with my swollen heart.

Taehyung falls to his knees to meet the puppies eyes. He strokes her newborn fur, on her crown and gets lost in the gaze of her eyes. "You take good care of her for me okay. Can you promise me that she'll be okay?" His fingers sink into the caramel fur over her heart. He wraps a classic red collar,  with a golden tag, around her. It dangles from her neck, kissing the baby hairs of her fluffy paws.  "It'll fit you when you grow little one," Taehyung whispers.

"That's enough," Jin says as he gestures to the guards. The guards immediately react. The three of us run to each other to link our hearts one last time. We hold each other desperately wanting to remain in each others holds til time ceases to exist. With a struggle, the guards tear Tae and Kookie away. They fumble to their feet.  Jungkook launches his fists at one of the guards, in response he is bombarded by guards and forced out of the door. I fall to my knees as I watch them struggle. I hold the earpiece against my heart and cherish it. 

 I am pulled to my feet by Jin. He drags me out of the room and pries the earpiece out of my knotted fingers.

"Stop that's mine!"

He throws the only connection I have to the two of them, to the ground and crushes it underneath his black dress shoes.

My heart erupts. In the heat of my despair, I strike Jin's cheek with my hand. His eyes breath fury. I am thrown over his shoulder and taken to the bedroom. I pound on his wide back and flutter my legs in hopes of release. He drops me on the mattress. I am seeing a new side of Jin. This impatient man will not let that little slap slide by. He's going to make me remember it for eternity. 

"Who do you think you are! What did I tell you? You don't listen to me, you disrespected me! I will make you regret all of it!." Jin shouts full of unstable rage and full of fiery words. Then he hastily leaves the room slamming the door behind him. The power of the door echoes in my ears. I can't believe that this evil man will control me for the rest of my life.

The water spewing from puffy eyes stain the pillow that I press my weeping body upon. The sobs choke me in ways that I've never hurt before. I continually mutter the words in my cries, "it's hurts so much. It hurts so much."

The sound of little paws begging at the door kiss my ears. I open it and soak up her softness. I bring her to the bed and bury my face in her fur. I watch her crawl on the sheets. She barely manages to walk properly with the collar tangling her feet. I slide the collar off of her and read the gold plate. "Gidae". The Korean word for hope.