Chapter 8

Switch

He begins to pull out of the driveway and race down the street recklessly.

"What happened back there?"

He doesn't respond to my question and continues to look straight ahead like I am invisible. All of this confusion and secrecy turns my stomach. Butterflies in my chest race through my veins and my mind is frazzled. The fear angers me and builds mounds inside. I finally erupt and shout at him, using a voice that has never been heard before.

"What the fuck just happen?! Explain Yoongi!" I roar.

He looks at me shocked by my jolt of energy. I'm finally no longer invisible. He doesn't look scared or concerned, just stunned.

"We'll talk in a minute." He responds in a cool tone.

He pulls into an abandoned parking lot and stops the car in the middle of it. An all black limo joins us. Mr. Min guides me out of the car and into the back of the limo. I sit on the short side of seating while he speaks to the driver. I wonder what he is up to. I trust him but if he doesn't confess the truth, I will find my way home. Am I allowed to even do such a thing? Will he let me?

He enters the car and I feel it begin to move. He sits near me but not against me. I ask for answers again and this time he gives them.

"I'll explain everything. Let's start off small okay. I'm involved with crime. I do bad things but it is only to bad people. People who deserve it...Criminals. I never harm innocent people."

"That doesn't make it right," I say.

He looks down at the floor space between his feet, "Ya I know."

"Are you in a gang?"

"Yes."

"Are you the leader?" I ask.

"Yes," he says sheepishly.

"Baby that isn't good. You could get really hurt. That life is dangerous."

"I know babe, but don't worry, I don't plan to continue this kind of lifestyle for long. It'll end very soon."

"Why now? Why are you gonna end it all now?" I ask eagerly wondering if he is in any sort of danger.

"Because I have something to live for now. Something to protect. You."

His eyes venture into my soul and I can see care written in the reflection of his iris. He pulls me onto his lap and wraps his arms around me, squeezing me tight. Once the hug is broken I continue my interrogation.

"What about Luke? You said that I don't know who he really is."

"Ugh, Luke..he was a well-known gang member of a rival group. He was known for being reckless and killing the innocent for the fun of it. He was a sick bastard. He once killed one of my members and he didn't do it decently. He stuck him in a small room with starving dogs so he could watch like he owned the Colosseum. That boy had one of largest killstreaks in the state. We've been trying to kill him for months. That's one of the reasons why I chose to work in that specific school. To find him."

"What are the other reasons?"

"We'll get to that later. There is still much more that I must tell you."

"Explain what just happened with my grandma," I demand.

"Well, you can obviously tell that she's involved in some sort of crime. I don't know much about your family but I do know that your family owns a very large company with a lot of money-"