Chapter 9

Signal

The room is colorless. The only sounds are of snores of peaceful slumber. There is a pit in my gut that rumbles my heart causing silent panic in my chest. The clock has swung hours since Jungkook sealed his eyes and venture to a world of dreams. I lay here a fetal position in my bed feeling like I'm about to explode. My head is filled with raging voices of stress and anxiety. The longer I lay, the louder the voices become. They are now screaming a prophecy of dreadful possible futures to come.

I can only intake so much. I slid off of my bed and sit on Jungkooks. I glance at his shut eyes and drooling mouth in his serendipity. My little hands grab his shoulder and shake until his eye pop out and jumps up.

"What's wrong?" He says googly with a yawn.

"I can't sleep. I'm too worried."

"What about?"

"My grandmother and Kim Seokjin. What if they take me? What would they do to you? And what about Yoongi? If he finds us, he'll take me to Daegu. God knows what he'll do to you."

"They aren't going to find you. We paid in cash and this is a shitty motel. They can't track us. And Yoongi will never find you. I have that tracking device, remember? If he gets within a mile radius from us the computer alerts me."

"Ya you're right I'm too worried. Can I just see where he is though?" I ask.

"Ya sure hand me the laptop."

I do as he asked and sit next to him on the dusty bed as he types in elaborate codes.

His eyes widen and begins to pound the keyboard with his fingers at the speed of light.

"Jungkook! What's wrong? Is he close?!"

"I-I can't see him. I lost the signal."

"How?!"

"When we turned off the power. I think that we turned off the thing that helps us track him. I forgot to turn it back on. He could be anywhere."

"Jesus Christ Jungkook turn it back on!"

"I'm trying! It's not working!"

"Try harder!"

"Amanda it's 3 AM give me a break. I'm doing my best!"

Suddenly Jungkook's phone vibrates in silence.

"Who would call at this hour?" I ask.

"It's Taehyung. Something must be up."

Jungkook immediately presses the answer button then the speaker icon.

"Hey, guys I'm outside your window. Hurry up and get in the car. There's no time to explain."

"What's going on Tae?- Pack your stuff Amanda and bring it to Tae's car."

"No no no. Don't open the door. Crawl out the window!" Tae shouts from the phone. "Can you see me?"

I open the second story window and see Tae in his car waiting. He looks stressed. A small ladder is already propped up against the window, most likely set up by Tae.

"Here is your bag. Now go. I'll be right behind you." Jungkook says as he hands me my bag.

"Is it Y-Yoongi?"

"I think so. But I'm not sure. Now hurry."

The amber door knob fumbles. I choke on my breath and look at Jungkook frozen in fear. He forces me out of the window. Before I begin to climb down the ladder I look to Jungkook Who is rummaging around the room for his belongings. Pounding of angry fist roar on the door.

"Jungkook leave it. We must go," I whisper.

"Just go!"

"No, I'm not leaving without you."

Suddenly the door erupts revealing a man. His face hidden by the dark. Then I feel two hands on my waist pulling me down. Before I yelp the hand covers my mouth.

"Shhh, it's me, Taehyung."

I am slightly calmer knowing that I'm safe, but I'm still fearful for Jungkook.

"We have to help him," I whisper.

"Shhh, we can't do anything. Just be quiet and listen."

Taehyung takes the latter and camouflages it in the mangled bushes. We listen to the conversation.

An unfamiliar voice breaks the silence. "Where is she?"

"I don't know what you are talking about. Sir, I think that you have the wrong room. Now get out," Jugkook lies.

"You don't know who is talking to a little boy."

"Exactly, I don't know you and I don't have what you want."

"No, I think that you do. Now tell me where she is."

I wonder if this is one of Yoongi's men. It makes the most sense. Then there is the sound of destruction. The man starts to tear apart the room searching for me. Glass crumbles and ghetto decorations collapse.

"Fuck!" The man shouts as he flips the mattress over in defeat.

There is a moment of anticipating silence. I look at Taehyung concerned for Jungkook. Devilish laughs infect my ears. I look above me into the window to see the face of the unfamiliar dark haired man grinning and licking his lips. I gasp when our eyes meet. He immediately rushes out of the door and to the lobby to catch me before I escape.

"Get in the car!" Taehyung orders. He pulls my arm and forces me into the passenger's seat.

"But Jungkook," I say.

"I'll get him don't worry," Taehyung reassures me.

Taehyung runs for the ladder to help Jungkook but Jungkook has a different idea. He dives out of the window and somersaults to his feet. I stare at Jungkook with my mouth wide open astonished by this gay man's skill. Taehyung shrugs his shoulders and drops the ladder like he should have known better to predict what Jungkook would do. The three of us pile into the car. The engine roars and we are off. I look behind us to see the man sprinting to his car.