Chapter 4

Elude

I reach the second floor of the blackened hallway. I can no longer hear Mr. Min's footsteps behind me. His efforts to capture me were minimal. I find a classroom, then I feel the wall for a light switch. I flick it up to see myself in the math room. I take this moment to gather my thoughts and my breath. My plan is to get to the first floor and sneak into the art room where there is a secret back door. Most people aren't aware of this exit so I doubt that he will suspect it. Then I will run home pack some money and clothes then hit the road.

The sounds of old fashion type whistling and hard footsteps break my train of thought. I slam my hand on the light switch returning to the darkness. I hop into the closet right next to me.

"Come out baby. Don't run away from Daddy. I'm not gonna hurt you."

I hear his steps in the classroom across from mine. A screaming plummet kills the silence. I hear cubbies slam shut and growls of fury from him. He shoves the teacher's desk. I can hear the papers fly across the room. His anger begins to consume him, clouding his judgment and empathy. Although he is a murder I feel the guilt of leaving him. I promised that I would never leave him but his actions change everything. His stomps become louder and louder as he comes closer and closer. He slams the door of my classroom into the hard stone wall. I almost let out a scream but I keep my hand wrap around my mouth to absorb my dry screams.

"Come out sweetheart. You know what happens when you disobey Daddy...you get punished."

His chuckles are demonic and full of insane rage. He starts to topple over desks creating an uproar of chaos. He makes his way to the teacher's desk. Mr. Min kicks the desk with so much force that his foot flies through the wood without a struggle. He slams cubbies and throws papers following the rhythm of order slowly making his way down to my sanctuary. He stands to the left of me, my closet next. He slams the closet next to mine. He is close enough for me to hear him swear under his breath. His hand wraps around the handle of my closet door. Then there is a crowd of footsteps evading the hallway. It sounds like there are about ten to fifteen men. I huddle to the right side of the closet behind the door that he doesn't have a grip on. I sit and hug my knees trying to make myself as small as possible. The left door of the closet slowly widens. I see Mr. Min's face but it is not on me. He hasn't even bothered to look inside the closet. His focus is on the group of men who are now at the entrance of the classroom.

"The body is cleaned up, boss," one of the men said from the group.

Mr. Min nods his head and walks over to them. I hold my breath as tight as I can not daring to make a sound.

"Very good... Now I have something else that I need your help with."

"You got it, boss. What do you need?"

"The Witness. She has escaped. She is somewhere in this building. Don't let her leave this building. I need you to get her for me."

I hear a nest of guns click in preparation.

"Alive," Mr. Min adds.

A few sighs leave the men, disappointed in the lack of adventure.

A new enthusiastic toned voice speaks, "Ey don't be disappointed boys. After we catch we can have some fun with her."

A few of the men laugh like rotten hyenas. Being in the same room as all of these criminals sends shivers down my spine. The fact that they have such little empathy and value on human life is a foreign nature to me. It is very unsettling knowing that not only do I need to escape Mr. Min. But now Mr. Min and his gang. How the hell am I supposed to escape this building with all of these people after me? And what will my punishment be if Mr. Min finds me?

"Tsk tsk tsk. No boys, no fun. She's mine."

Raving hollars come from the group of men."Ohhhh shit boss, you nasty dog."

Mr. Min begins to speak, shutting down all of the whistling and hollering. "Listen closely. No harm is to come to her. Treat her with great respect. She is very special to me."

He still cares for me. Beneath that cold glare and blood-stained shirt, he posses a love of care for me. My insides are filled with a mix of emotions. His deep tone and dark endless eyes make me feel unassailable. Which is odd considering I just watched him murder someone without hesitation.

An hour later I remain huddled in the closet with my legs cramped up and the left door still wide open. I haven't dared to move. Once Mr. Min declared the top floor free of my presence I just sat here waiting for an epiphany. They have been searching the bottom floor for the past fifteen minutes now. Soon they will come back upstairs to see if they have missed anything. I need to get to the art room and out that back door. After some intense observation, I finally get the balls to part from my hideout. I walk into the dim hallway. I can hear the men downstairs laughing and yelling as they search for me. I make my way down the hallway to stairwell number 7. This stairwells exit is right next to the art room. I take my time to listen for the boys but I hear nothing. I creep down the stairwell. I peeked my head out the door to ensure that the coast is clear. Once that is confirmed I slide into the art room. I close the door behind me and leaned against the wall releasing the breath that I've been holding since I left my safe spot. I stare at the gate to freedom, just feet away from me. I am almost safe I just need to pass through that door and I'm safe.

Then I hear male voices traveling down the hallway.

"Dude c'mon we still need to check the last two rooms of this hall."

"Ya ya, I'm coming. Let's start with that fancy looking art room over there."

I can't hide. That won't work they will find me when they tear the room apart. I have to leave now. I hope that none of them are outside guarding the exit. The heat of anxiety and the chills of terror strike my nervous system. I Have no choice whatsoever. If they find me I'm in deep shit. Their footsteps become louder. I'm running out of time.

"Fuck it" I whisper to myself.

With that attitude, I burst through the back door, not caring if anyone heard or saw me because the chances are is that someone did. I run like someone is chasing me, just in case someone actually is. I sprint the entire way home not stopping for a car or a fellow pediatrician. I keep my eyes in front of me. I have one mission on my mind. It is to pack my shit and drive away.

I swing the front door of my house open. I immediately close it, locking it behind me. I analyze the empty house, that I share with my grandmother, with my eyes. I am so thankful that my she isn't home yet, but she might be any minute. I don't have time to explain I just have to go. I will call her and make up some bullshit excuse letter. I need to get out of here as fast as I can.

I sprint up the stairs to my room. I retrieve my warm grey backpack from under my bed and begin to stuff it with the essentials I grab a few t-shirts, jeans, a hoodie, toothbrush, deodorant, my laptop, phone, and chargers. I turn around and stick my head in my closet to get some money that I've been saving up to buy a new car. What I'm dealing with right now is more important than a car. I shove the countless twenty dollar bills into the front pocket of my bag. My backpack is at its loading limit. I let out a sigh of relief knowing that I'm actually going to make it. My bag is packed, I have the car waiting for me in the garage and Mr. Min is still probably searching the school for me.

"Haha, I did it!" I say to myself devouring the comfort of safety.

"Are you sure about that Princess?"

I freeze. I turn my head to see the dark-haired murder sitting on my bed grinning like a cold snake. Mr. Min stands up with his hands in his pockets and walks to me. I remain still like a statue. He squats down to be eye level with me. Our eyes unite and our souls merge through them. He takes my hair and fixes it behind my ear.

"You've been bad. I think you know what that means. Time for your penance."

I close my eyes then I feel his febrile lips meet mine.