Chapter 8

"When I was three and a half, I woke up in the middle of the night. I saw a shadow in the corner of my room so I went over there to check it out. There was a man there. He had a pale face and red eyes. His mouth looked like a creeper's mouth. He grabbed me and said 'Good luck, little one. Your path was going to be my end, but we can't have that now can we? Just remember, I am Israphel. And you will never complete your destiny. Not ever. Goodbye.' right before he shoved me into a portal. After that, I could see and hear everyone, but nobody ever noticed me. That is, until Ridge came along. Being a demigod, he could interact with me. We've been friends ever since. He led me to you guys and I've been watching all of you for three years. Those times you thought you heard something? Well, it was me. I watched Sjin build the cage for Tee. Then the nuke went off. Something happened because now I'm free of the Otherwhere. I can be a normal person again for the first time in thirteen years. I'm free." I watched their reactions. Rythian looked at Ridge and Ridge looked at Rythian. "Is that why your eyes are silver?" Rythian asked suddenly. I blinked. "They're what now? Last I checked, they were blue. Bright blue." I replied. "You're a Runner." Ridge said. "Excuse me?" I said, thoroughly confused. "A Runner. A very rare being that is only born or raised in Otherwhere. You grew up in Otherwhere, but I suspect that you were born a Runner as well." Ridge explained. I sighed. "That doesn't answer my question." I said. "Oh I have a lot of questions. Like, who are you? And, where's Fishton?" said a voice that could only be Zoey's. "Zoey!" Rythian and I said in unison. "Um, yeah. That's me. Why the excitement?" the fire-haired girl asked. "Zoey, you just got nuked." Rythian said. "Oh, come on, Rythian, it was only three nukes! I eat nukes for breakfast. Wait, no that's silly, why would i- actually, oooh. Let's go find Fishton!" she said in her usual cheery tone. I tossed her the fish harmonica. "Special delivery via nuclear explosion." I said. "Fishton! Thanks....." "Isa. My name's Isa." I said. "Isa, right. Thanks Isa!" she said happily as she ambushed Rythian with a giant hug. "Christ on a bike! Whoa, tight hug!" the mage squeaked. I chuckled and walked over to Ridge. "So. How do you know Israphel?" I asked. The demigod frowned. "Lewis and Simon might want to tell that story." he replied. "Oh yeah, I forgot. People can actually see me!!" I cheered. Ridge smiled. "Well, We'll all go together! Lewis needs to know about Duncan and the nuke anyhow." Zoey said finally letting go of the gasping mage. "Then I'm going to pay a little visit to our least favorite scientist." I said. Rythian opened his mouth to protest. "If you go, he'll fight instantly. If I go, well. Let's just say that he won't be making any more nukes." I said smiling. "Okay. Let's check with the doctor." Rythian said taking Zoey to the reception desk. I looked to Ridge. "Well. That went well." I said. The demigod nodded, deep in thought. I shook my head. "Demigods."