Chapter 18

Isabella's POV

I put my feet on the lush red carpet and smiled. My black dress collected around my feet and I threw the door open. I skipped to the dining room, not missing a beat at the sight of Israphel chomping on some pancakes. The red-eyed demon looked up in surprise when I hugged him. "I believe you." I whispered into his ear. "Thanks for bringing me home." Israphel chuckled. "You're welcome." he said finally. I was laying it on thick. The fact that he was believing me is surprising. "Can you teach me to fight, Dad?" I said, nearly grimacing at the word I chose. I should go into an acting career if I get out of this. "Not now, kid. I want to introduce you to your kingdom." he said getting up from the table. "My kingdom?" I asked in slight confusion. "Well, I am king. You're my daughter. That makes you a princess." he said as if it were obvious. "Cool!" I said excitedly. That makes slipping past guards easier.

    I followed Israphel through the castle, pausing slightly as we came to the beautiful ebony black gates that separated the castle from the village. I had never seen a single window in my few days here, and the view from the gates was something new. I peered through the bars, a fiery light flickering a hello from around the red walls behind the intricately designed black bars. The gates swung open and I followed my father through them. I put my hand against the red walls and recoiled almost immediately. Israphel chuckled a little. I scowled at him, pretending I was joking. I lay my fingers against the walls once more and smiled a little. The wall was not hard and cold like the ones I was used to. They were warm and fleshy. The tunnel opened up as we turned a corner and I gasped as hot, sulfuric air clashed with the muggy, humid air in the tunnel behind me. A road of brown sand formed a twisting path that disappeared over a hill. At the edge of the mountain cliff, on which Israphel and I were standing, there was a sheer drop into a giant sea of lava. Glowing stones grew in elegant crystals on the ceiling of the huge cavern that seemed never to end. Israphel led the way down the sandy path. I looked closer at the sand and saw mangled, wailing faces twisting, barely distinguishable, in the sand. The path soon trailed into a village, the townspeople staring fearfully at Israphel, and more curious looks were sent my way. The villagers bowed before their king as he stood, towering ominously above them. "Rise and meet your princess!" he commanded harshly. I looked at the people gathered around us. I gave a kind smile and saw some people visibly relax. I saw a group of four people that I vaguely recognised. I nearly choked as I remembered where I had seen them. I looked up at the demon known as Israphel. He turned his red irises to me and nudged me forward. "Go on, you'll have to get to know them sooner or later." he whispered. I stifled a sigh and simply nodded. I walked forward and the villagers shrank away from me. I heard faint crying from behind a dark red wall. I looked behind the wall and saw a small child, his eyes were milky white. He was blind. "Are you okay?" I asked him. He flinched in surprise, his shaggy black hair glistening slightly in the light of the glowstone. "Im lost, can you-can you help me find my mum?" he sniffled. "Of course." I answered picking him up easily. A blaze guard swept towards me, fireball aimed. "Piss off, I'll do it myself!" I said sharply to it. The guard hissed in annoyance but left anyway. "What's your name?" I asked him. "Brandon." he said with a sniffle. I wiped a tear from his cheek and carried him into the terrified crowd. "Okay, Brandon, my name is Isabella. What's your mum's name?" I asked. "Teresa." he answered reaching up and brushing his fingers over my face. "My boy! Where's my boy!?" wailed a woman running through the crowd. I ran up to her. "Ma'am, is this your son?" I asked. "Oh, Brandon!" she cried out. I handed her the boy. "Thank you! Oh thank you!" she said gratefully looking up at me. Her smile soured. "You're the princess aren't you." she accused. "Yes ma'am." I replied. "You're not all bad, girl." she grumbled. I smiled slightly and turned to find the group of four I had seen earlier. I found the ginger haired one easily. I snuck up on him and tapped his shoulder. "Sparkles*. Don't turn around. You don't know me. And that's okay for now. I'm a friend of Lewis and Simon. I need your help." I whispered. Sparkles* jumped. "Listen, you make music right? With the other three with you?" I continued. He nodded slightly. "Do you trust me?" he nodded again. "Good because I'm about to do something really stupid. Stay here." I whispered. I walked up to Israphel and whispered in his ear. "Dad, can I take a group of people home?" He looked at me gleefully and nodded. "Who?" he asked smiling. "Those four over there." I replied pointing. Israphel's expression soured. "Why." he demanded. "They make music and I like it." I replied. He sighed in relief. "Okay. Should the guards take them to the dungeons?" he asked. "No. They should all share a room next to mine. That way they are healthy enough to play whenever I want them to." I explained. He nodded. "Do you want to take them?" he asked. I nodded. "Okay. We have to leave soon anyway." he said. I nodded and ran over to Sparkles*, this time not bothering to sneak. "You four, come with me." I ordered. The ones I recognised as Leo, Kogie, and Parv, shrank away in fear. "Why." Sparkles* demanded. "I can get you home." I said. Their eyes widened. "Really?" Parv asked. I nodded. "Let's go. Just follow me." I said leading them to Israphel. "Ready?"  Israphel asked. I nodded. He began the walk back and I followed, the four men behind me. We entered the gates and they clanged shut behind us. "Go to your room, Isabella. I have some business to take care of." Israphel ordered stiffly. I left swiftly without a word, Sparkles* and the others in tow. I stopped at my door. "The room right there is yours, trust me it's big enough, but for now come in here with me." I whispered opening the door. They followed and sat on the bed. I turned to them. "My name's Isabella. I'm going to need your help."