Chapter 20

I woke up in a small, dark room. I glanced around, my vision sharpening. "Israphel!" I roared. The sound of my voice echoed. I looked up. The ceiling was high above me. "You're awake." the voice of the demon startled me. "Obviously." I muttered. A sharp pain pierced my skull and I cried out. "Now, now, Isabella. That's hardly the way to speak to your king." he chided, the pain stopped. I couldnt see him. I ran my hands long the cold, glassy walls. Glass. I thought. "Now, its almost time for test one. This is how it's going to work." he paused. A hatch opened and a black sword was pushed through. Instantly I felt like my essence was slowly being sucked out of my body. "That sword sucks the soul out of the target's body. Your job is to-" I interrupted. "That's exactly what feels like is happening too." he sighed. The sharp pain rammed into my head again. "Naughty, naughty. Now, as I was saying, your job is to free the pieces of your soul I've already taken before you are entirely consumed by the blade." he explained. I nodded, not having enough energy to talk. I limped along the wall to the sword. Thank Notch I can see in the dark. I grabbed the hilt and contemplated breaking it. "What if I break it?" I asked aloud. "Try it." he answered. I tried to snap the blade but was rewarded with less energy. "Nope." I muttered. My head was throbbing. "One minute." Israphel announced. I sighed. What can I do? "I'm sorry." I whispered. "I was going to die anyway." I gripped the hilt of the sword. "What are you doing!" Israphel demanded. I slid the blade into my stomach, wincing slightly at the pain. "Isabella! No!" he cried out as I ripped the blade out. Blood poured from my stomach and I fell backwards, my vision fuzzy. "I win." I said with a sigh. The sword was still in my hand as Israphel rushed in through a hidden door. I stared at the blade, watching in disbelief as it dematerialized in front of my very eyes. The last thing I felt was a flooding sensation as the missing pieces returned into place. But something was wrong.