Chapter 2

"We are here, Dad. Welcome to your new home. Isn't it beautiful?" Sarah asked with hopeful excitement in her voice.

Harvey shifted his gaze to take in the manicured lawns and gardens as the car slowed, approaching the closed gates of "Glenwood Retirement Home, a Senior Care Facility", as the sign so proudly proclaimed.

"Hmmph", was all he said. Oh God, he couldn't bear to think what his life was going to be like in a retirement home. Last stop, Old Man. There is only one place you are going after this, so enjoy it while you can. That will be the day when I get any joy out of this place, he thought, bitterly.

Sarah turned into the driveway and stopped at a service box mounted on a post, just outside of the massive, decorative iron gates. She lowered the side window and pushed a green button that was marked 'open'.

Slowly and silently the big gates swung inward and Sarah drove up the long, wide laneway that leads to the front entrance of the residence. The building façade was modern Greek revival, somewhere between institutional and palatial in structure. The main entrance was set behind four massive white columns, which supported a portico roof that sheltered vehicles in the arrival area. Sarah followed the driveway that curved into the check-in area at the main doors to the building. For cars to drop off elderly residents and for ambulances, from time to time, no doubt. She put the car in park, shut off the ignition, opened her door and smoothed her skirt and jacket before opening the rear door of the car for Harvey.

"Ok, Dad, let's go inside and have a look. I think you are going to like it here." Sarah encouraged him as she helped him with the seat belt, then assisted him in getting out of the car and back onto his feet.

He glared at his daughter as he stood up to meet his fate. Harvey put his hand on the side of the vehicle and Sarah supported him, giving him a minute to limber up and get his balance again after sitting cramped up in the back seat of the van.

"I will help you to get inside and then I will need to retrieve your luggage from the back. After that, I will have to move the van into the visitor parking area, ok Dad?" Sarah asked as she guided him slowly to the double entrance doors, which swung open automatically as they approached.

As if I have a choice, Harvey thought, as he shuffled stiffly along beside his daughter, through the open doors and into the main foyer of the building. The room was festooned with potted plants and fresh flowers, strategically arranged to make the large room look warm and inviting. A huge ceiling fan turning slowly overhead, and there were chairs, coffee tables, and settees, some of which were occupied by elderly people, as well as younger folks, who were obviously family, there to visit them. At one end stood a massive stone fireplace, not in use today, forgotten in the warmth of summer. No one paid too much attention to Harvey and Sarah since this type of activity was no doubt a regular occurrence at 'Glenwood Retirement Home, a Senior Care Facility'. Bullshit, Harvey thought.

"You must be Mr. Feldman! Welcome to Glenwood", a middle-aged woman was smiling at Harvey from her position behind a desk, just inside the doors. Stanley noticed a satin finished metal name tag pinned to her blouse that read 'Vivian Lennox – Administrator'. Nice brown hair, pulled severally back and pinned in place. She's a bit heavy, Harvey thought, giving her a sour look of appraisal. Had to admit, she was sort of attractive, in an officious sort of way. Didn't matter much to him though. She was obviously the one in charge of this joint.

"Come right in, we'll get you all squared away and your daughter can give you a tour of the place once we get you settled in. I hope you like what you see, Mr. Feldman."

Harvey glared at her, saying nothing.

Sarah took this opportunity to join the conversation and to prevent her father from embarrassing her. "Hello, Mrs. Lennox! Yes, this is my dad, Harvey Feldman. He is a little tired from the trip, but he will be in better sorts in no time, I'm sure." Sarah said as she guided Harvey closer to the admittance desk.