Chapter 17

The distance to the bus station hadn't looked nearly so long when they drove it in Stu's car. The reality of walking there was something else, however. They were exhausted when they arrived at the terminal, after carrying their luggage and jackets with them for those three long blocks. Millie had to be assisted as she walked, and carrying her belongings for her also added to the task. Ryan was a godsend, hauling most of the extra load himself without complaint.

Every table was occupied when they entered the cafe in the bus station. There were five stools available at the counter, however, and they grabbed those spots to rest their tired bodies and to have a coffee while they waited for their road coach.

They took up all of the remaining stools, and Harvey sat on one end of their group, next to a middle-aged man, who was wearing what appeared to Harvey to be plaid pajama bottoms and well-worn leather slippers. Over this, he wore a grey hoodie that was frayed at the cuffs. The man was drinking coffee from a mug just as they were.

Harvey had barely set his cane beside his stool and ordered a coffee for himself before the man struck up a conversation. "You waiting for the bus to Vancouver?"

"That's right", Harvey replied.

"Me too. I'm going out to Van, see what its like. I hear the welfare is better there

then it is in this shit hole", the man offered, without hesitation.

"You're on welfare?", Harvey asked, trying at the same time not to sound too nosey.

"Hell yes", the middle-aged man said. "My mom and dad were on welfare and I learned about the system from them. But it's getting harder these days. Lot of places keeping the welfare down now. I hear its still pretty good out in Van, though", the man said, quite candidly.

"Is there a reason that you are not working for a living?"  Health maybe?" Harvey inquired, dubiously.

"I got a few aches and pains, buddy, don't think I don't. Some days I hardly leave the couch. I like T.V., so it's not too bad. I don't like to miss the afternoon 'soaps', anyway. How about you? Do you like "The Young and the Restless"?

What, exactly, is "the Young and the Restless", Harvey enquired.

You don't watch "Y and R"? It's a daytime Soap Opera that's been on television for years now. I could probably count the days that I have missed it, on the one hand, myself. It's a shame you haven't seen it. Its really good", the man said, glibly.

"I been a bit too busy over the years for that, I guess. Work can really get in the way if you let it", Harvey said, sarcastically. "Maybe you should try it sometime, see for yourself", Harvey suggested.

"Naw, I tried that a time or two, but I don't like it too well. Oh, I dabble a bit, but only when someone is willing to pay under the table. Don't want to screw up my welfare. But nothing too physical, that's for damned sure", again, the man was almost boasting.

"You realize that money you get each month on welfare comes from the taxpayers, don't you?", Harvey asked, stunned by this man's candor.

"That may be, but I have a right to live, too, don't I?", the man replied, defensively.

Let me put it this way, my friend", Harvey said, trying to control his response. "My parents taught me that I should always pay my own way, as long as I was able, and leave public handouts for those who really need it."

"I believe you might be overreacting just a bit, don't you think?", the man suggested flippantly. "I have rights, too, you know".

Harvey had heard enough, He knew now that he did not have an ounce of sympathy for this man, "When I was eighteen, we Canadian boys went to war with the Germans, who were fighting for a dictator named Adolph Hitler. I signed up as a sailor in the Canadian Navy. I fought in the North Atlantic for six hard years, to defend freedom for all of the people back home. I saw a lot of men die, on both sides. If I had imagined, for one minute, that I was defending someone like you, I sure would have wondered whether risking my life was really worth it". Harvey was trembling with anger by this point.

'Well, cry me a river, fella. I have never fought in a war. That is the last thing I would ever do, for anybody, believe me. There's too much fighting in the world, and I wouldn't want to contribute to THAT. Live and let live, that's what I say", the man lectured Harvey, self righteously.

"I'm too old to pick a fight with a guy half my age, so I'm out of here. Smells bad here, anyway. You know what I mean?", Harvey said as he slipped off of the counter stool, leaving his half-empty cup of coffee sitting there. He nudged Ryan, who sat next to him, and he said quietly to the boy, "I'm going to sit outside on a bench, get some fresh air".

The man on who he had been sitting next to, at the counter, laughed sarcastically. "Good idea, old man. You do that".

Harvey had to grit his teeth as he walked away, keeping his cane firmly planted beside him, resisting the temptation to bring it down on the man's head.