Chapter 29

Dan Colbec was feeling tired, but he was also anxious to wrap this case up. He had a strong feeling that his quarry was close at hand and it was just a matter of time before he nabbed them. At least he hoped that was going to be the case. Come out, come out, where ever you are, he thought as he drove, constantly scanning both sides of the street.

It was getting on into the evening hours, as he cruised down the famous Granville Street. This was a good place to look, he thought, they might very well be here, taking in the sights. He sure couldn't drive through all of the residential streets. That would be an impossible task. Here in the downtown Vancouver area, though, he hoped he might have some chance of success.

As he neared the waterfront, an attractive young woman who was provocatively dressed caught his eye. She was probably just beginning work for the evening, taking a stand on a darkened street corner. Don't be so judgemental, girls today often dressed for show at night. But she was alone, and that usually meant only one thing, in a neighborhood like this one. But this was not his jurisdiction, or home province even, for that matter. And he had other fish to fry tonight.

Dan continued to slowly cruise through the streets of downtown Vancouver. This was getting him nowhere in his search. He turned a corner, and headed for his hotel, deciding to call it a day. He was too tired to keep looking further tonight. The search would have to wait until tomorrow. It was time to hit the sack. Get some sleep and try again tomorrow. Maybe he would have better luck in the daylight. Old people usually stayed indoors at night anyway.

************************

The blonde girl saw the dark blue car with the damaged front fender and the funny looking skinny front tire slowly cruise by her stand. It had cop written all over it but the body damage and odd wheels didn't fit the picture at all. Maybe it was a former undercover police car or something. She watched for it but it did not come back again. Quite often, she knew, a 'john' would drive slowly by several times before stopping and asking for a 'date'. Probably a guy trying to get up his nerve, she thought.

The evening was just beginning and there was sure to be more 'Johns', before long. Cheeko would like that. He expected a lot from her and she knew she had better provide it, too. She had met Cheeko right after she got off the bus at the terminal a few months ago. She was eighteen and on her own when she arrived. Scared to be all alone in a strange city. After having another fight with her mom she had left in anger, taking a bus to Vancouver and a new life. Her mom would really be sorry now.

Cheeko had made it easy for her not to change her mind and go back home. At first, he had paid for everything. Food, a place to stay. The best. He was quite good-looking, too, and he had made her feel like a queen. Always there. Always in charge. So strong. So mature. He took care of everything.

But like all fairy tales, it had come to an end. Cheeko eventually said she was making him go broke and that she owed him a lot of money now. Did she have it? No. Well, she would have to work then. Pay it all back. Of course, there would have to be interest too. He wasn't a charity. What was she thinking, anyway?

He told her he had an idea. A business proposition for her. They shared a funny tasting cigarette, and she wasn't worried about the money, anymore. Just having a good time. Cheeko DID love her after all. It was going to be all right. She felt woozy and unsteady. Very tired too.

A bunch of Cheeko's friends showed up and everything was blurry after that. They had asked her to take some of her clothes off really party with them. Cheeko had taken lots of pictures and he showed them to her later. That went on for days with more men and her all the time feeling much too weak to resist very much. Now it was way too late. She knew her place now. It was here on this street corner, working to pay Cheeko back. Once that was done he would let her go. He even said so.