Chapter 23

They returned to the hotel to collect their things and to check out. They got directions to the train station from the morning desk clerk. They were in luck, again. The train station was within walking distance, only a few blocks away, so they walked, instead of waiting for a cab to take them there.

As they walked they carried on a conversation among themselves.

"What are you planning to do, once we get to Vancouver, anyway, Harvey?", Reg asked.

"Well, it was always Martha's dream to see the Rocky Mountains from the city, so I guess I would like to do that. And to explore the city itself, of course. After that, I really don't know. I guess I need to get there before I can say what comes next", Harvey replied, philosophically.

"Wow, the Rockies! Are we gonna get closer to them than Calgary? That I wantta' see!", Ryan said. "I can hardly wait to get to the west coast, now".

"Where did you think they were, in China, or someplace, for Chris' sakes?", Reg demanded.

"I know where the Rockies are, Reg. We can see them from here, already. Leave me alone, will you?"

"Wouldn't I just love to leave you alone. But where? I know! How about right here, and right now?"

Ryan glared at Reg.

"Reg, you are making me crazy with this crap! Leave the kid alone for a while, can't 'ya? Just try to get along like the rest of us", Stewart jumped in.

"Sorry, Stu, but we were doin' just fine before he showed up. I just think we should leave him here."

"Maybe we should leave you here instead", Stu threatened. Ryan is doing stuff for us, you included, my friend! Remember that."

"OK, OK, it was just an idea", Reg replied, giving Ryan a quick wink, as he said it.

"When do you plan on going back home, anyway, Ryan?", Harvey asked the boy.

"Not going back. I want to see the world, have some fun on my own", Ryan said.

"Won't you be missed? Harvey asked.

"Heck, no one would miss me much, back home.

"What about your parents? They must be worried about you, off on your own like this".

"Mom might. My dad, though, we don't get along too well most of the time", Ryan rubbed his jacket sleeve across his eyes.

"It was the same for me, back in the day. I was seventeen. My dad really didn't seem to care so much, when I left home. But I got by, lived my own life after that", Reg joined in.

"Very interesting, Reg, but maybe Ryan, here, should think about his mom" Stu said, pointedly. "How about, you drop back, give Millie a hand, OK?"

"Harvey is with her, already", Reg replied.

Well then, why don't you give Harvey a hand, will you?", Stu suggested, emphatically.

"OK, I can take a hint", Reg said huffily, glaring at Ryan, as he stopped and waited for Millie and Harvey to catch up. Millie was a few steps behind him, with Harvey steadying her as she walked by gently holding her arm.

"Don't mind Reg, he means well", Stu said softly to Ryan. "Why don't you call your mom, tell her your OK. Maybe think about going home again."

"I don't think I can do that. I left in kind of a bad mood. I said some stuff".

"Maybe you did, but moms are pretty good at forgiving", Stu said.

"You really think so? About calling her, I mean?", Ryan sounded hopeful.

"She will want to know that you are safe, at least. I think you owe her that much, don't you?

Ryan stared off into space for a few moments, then he came back from wherever it was, that he had gone in his mind. "OK, maybe I will. I don't have a cell phone, though."

"Neither do any of us, Kid. But I can see that there is a pay phone right beyond that next building. I can come up with the coins to make the call I'm sure. I got a pocket full, and it drives me nuts, carrying it all around", Stu's face broke into a grin, as he slapped Ryan on the back.

It was a chance to sit on the curb and rest for a bit. They sat and waited, while Ryan made his call. What sort of a conversation that he had with his mom was never clear, but Ryan's eyes looked red and swollen when he stepped out of the phone booth.

Stu winked at him and he smiled shyly back, so it looked like the call had been positive, anyway. They continued walking in the direction that they believed the train station to be.

That is when they found the van sitting at the curb, hood up, and the owner with his head close to the silent motor.

"Need a hand?", Reg asked, politely.

The man jumped back, clearly startled. "You almost gave me a heart attack, there. You know much about cars, mister?"

"Ya' wanna' know something about cars, do ya'? I was a mechanic for forty years. What's the problem?"

"Damned thing won't start. I got to be in Vancouver tomorrow, too", the man said in frustration.

"How about I take a look, see what's wrong?", Reg said as he stepped over to the vehicle, feeling important.

"Please, be my guest. There's about as much chance of me getting it going as there is of snow in July!"

Reg leaned over the front of the van, peering at the engine, and testing connections. He made some adjustments before he straightened up again.

"Damn, that's hard on the back", he complained. Never bothered me in the old days", he said, with his hands on his lower back. "Get in, try it now. See if I made any difference."

The man opened the car door and slid behind the wheel. He turned the key, and after cranking over several times, the engine caught, and a cloud of black smoke belched from the tailpipe. When the initial smoke cleared, the engine ran fairly smoothly as it returned to idle.

"Shit man, fantastic! I've been tinkering with the stupid thing for almost an hour. You come along, and get it started in minutes. I'd pay you, but I'm pretty short on cash. That's why I didn't call somebody."

"Naw, don't worry 'bout it. Glad to help. Happy to see I've still got the touch", Reg replied, obviously enjoying the praise. "You really need a tune up bad, though. It looks like it has been a while to me. I always say a car is like a woman. The more you spend on 'em, the better they ride."

"Point taken. I'll remember that. The name is Charlie", the man said loudly, as he extended his hand.

"Oh, jeez no", exclaimed Reg.

"Charlie! Mildred exclaimed as she threw her arms around the shocked man's neck. I'm so glad you are here!"