Chapter 31

"I never did get your name", Stu said to the blonde girl beside him as they walked further down Granville Street.

"Sugar", was the reply. "I go by Sugar. Cheeko gave me that name", the girl responded.

"Your real name, I mean. The one your mom and dad gave to you."

"That one is Donna, but I'm not supposed to use it anymore."

"Donna is good. And you are supposed to use it. I say so."

"Just don't let Cheeko find out that I told you", Donna said softly.

"I won't let that happen, you don't have to worry on that score."

They arrived in front of a run-down, two-story walk-up, and Donna led the way up a flight of worn stairs to her one bedroom apartment. It didn't really contain much; an electric stove, a bar fridge, a wooden table and two chrome chairs with plastic seats, made up the sparse contents of the kitchen furnishings, Stu noticed as they entered.

"I know it's not fancy, but this is my home. I don't usually bring anyone up here", Donna said, defensively.

"You take a good look, Donna. Remember what it looks like. You are never going to see this place again if you're half as smart as I think you are. Now collect your stuff. We're getting out of here".

Donna quickly went through the small three-room apartment, gathering up clothing and the few things that meant anything to her, and stuffed them into a plastic shopping bag and her pink knapsack. Without a backward glance, she allowed Stu to hurry her out of the apartment door.

They walked to the bus station with Donna showing him the way. It was getting late for Stewart, but he wanted to see this girl off on a bus, back to her family, and a better way of life than this one. If only the nagging tightness in his chest would ease up. It had been bothering him all day and now he just wished he would pass some gas or something to help make it go away.

They made it to the bus station and Stu insisted that Donna call her mother on a pay phone in the station. Once he was sure that her mother had answered the phone he left her to finish the call in private. What was said was never known to Stu, but when Donna hung up the receiver she had tears in her eyes. Donna wiped at her face and went to the ticket window where she purchased a one-way ticket home with the money that Stu had given her. Stewart waited patiently while she bought the ticket, and he was pleased to learn that they wouldn't have long to wait for Donna's bus.

When the coach arrived and began boarding, Stu stood and waited with the girl near the open doors. Donna gave Stu a big hug, whispering in his ear that he was the best guy she had ever met. He was happy when she climbed the steps to find a seat for the late night ride home. He was pretty sure that she was used to late nights like this though.

The driver finally climbed aboard when all the tickets had been collected. He closed the clamshell doors and the coach left the station. Donna sat in a window seat and it looked to Stewart as if she might be crying again. She reminded Stu so much of his own daughter as she frantically waved goodbye. Stu waived enthusiastically back.

It was Stewart's only encounter with a hooker in his life. He was pleased with how this had turned out. It had gone rather well, he thought. When the bus was gone, leaving only diesel fumes behind, Stewart left the terminal. It was very late and he needed to get to find a bed. He walked slowly back to his hotel and his friends. The tightness in his chest was getting worse, and all he wanted to do was to lie down and get some rest. He smiled to himself, thinking how mad that weasel, Cheeko would be, when he realized that his meal ticket was actually gone for good.

When he reached the hotel room, he inserted his key card into the lock and opened the door. He entered the darkened room as quietly as possible, hoping that he wouldn't disturb anyone sleeping within. No-one stirred. By feel, he worked his way to the open door between the two suites. Just as he found the door handle there, Reg whispered to him out of the darkness.

"How was it, big guy, as good as you remembered it?"

"What are you talking about?", Stu whispered back, sharply.

"I saw you with that young girl. I bet I know why you disappeared with her like you did. I'm proud of you, buddy", Reg whispered, smugly.

"It wasn't like that at all, so knock it off, Reg! I had a talk with her and put her on a bus, sent her home to start over with her family. She reminded me of my own daughter, and that is how I treated her", Stewart hissed. It was plain that he was upset and indignant with his friend.

Reg realized that he had made a bad mistake. "Sorry, Su, I didn't know. I didn't mean nothin'," he whispered.

"Get to sleep now. I'll see you in the morning", Stu replied quietly, feeling somewhat mollified as he moved into the room that he shared with Mildred. She continued to snore loudly in the darkness. Stu took off his shoes, shirt, and pants, and crawled under the covers of the second bed in the room. He prayed for sleep to claim him and ease the nagging pain in his chest. He felt sure that tomorrow would be better. They would have a good time then. He would enjoy seeing the sites in broad daylight. As he had said to Harvey, it wasn't like they would be back this way again. He drifted off to sleep, secure and happy in the knowledge that he had made a difference in a young woman's life.